Identifying Giant World Cup, and fork thoughts

oh i see no mounts :(
well i found this - same livery
http://www.vehibase.com/giant-atx-890/photo-1.htm

maybe its an atx xxx (different number?)
erm forks spacers are normally just like large plastic washers
to measure travel, stick a cable tie on one of the legs and see how much its moves

id say with your money
if the forks seems ok
get a new bar and stem? - aim to make it as comfortable as possible with your remaining budget
you could possibly get a set of forks out of that too which would do
but wont be amazing (but im sure they wont be bad, and should do the job)
if you find the sids flexy then maybe a cheaper set would be ideal for you at the moment as cheaper fork generally means cheaper materials = more strength/weight (generally, not always!)

what do the dropouts look like? (pic?)
you might get away with a disc adapter on there - a2z

your forks arent that ols so you may be able to pick up a broken set for cheap for spares? if your that fussed and believe your forks are no good or whatever
maybe your frame is suited to 80mm forks which might be why it looks odd

congratulations also ;)

Thanks for your really complete reply, Cyfa.

As you say, no brake mounts. I hadn't heard of the adaptor until you mentioned it. Will research it a bit further, and will post a pic of my dropouts - at least would be good to know what my options are. That said, I'm not wildly phased by a V brake on the rear. It's nice to have the extra stopping power up front, though.

I think you're right. I don't think the forks are bad enough to change. I really like them, except for it all looks a bit crazy - they ride fine, except for maybe being a little soft.

I'm certain there weren't any spacers in the spring stack but am off to consult the service document again. I didn't totally understand previously whether the idea was they were 'trapped' within the spring stack, or whether they were 'loose' and separate. Will check.

I suppose the only remaining thing is how much I'm worried about the oil leak. Maybe be a spare set of 'spares' forks would be a good idea.

The bad news is some of my remaining budget has to go on cheap bits on a second bike. LOL! I couldn't resist it!

But more news anon. And the new bike doesn't need too much. It does, though, unfortunately need some forks, which kind of basically means the Judys are staying for the forseeable future ;)

glad i can help :D

haha woopsie! :LOL: what now?!
here is said adapter
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/118257.html

they go on flat dropouts which by the looks of it yours has
but you would then need the rear wheel also and brake

if the forks are too soft and they are oil filled as well as coil (so coil/oil)
you could put in some heavier weight oil (probably 10wt)
but maybe overkill if your not that heavy

the spacers normally got at teh bottom of the spring but i cant say what that would be on within your forks
if there are no spacers they could well be the max travel for that forks

cat you make one good bike for now?
and then build the seocnd when other variables allow? :roll: :LOL:

cyfa2809":3vvnky20 said:
Can you make one good bike for now?
and then build the seocnd when other variables allow? :roll: :LOL:

What a sensible suggestion, better discount that immediately! :p :LOL:

Personally I'd be looking to be rid of those forks ASAP - they must be ruining the handling and will eventually rip the headtube off! 80mm Sounds correct, Judys perhaps, although these would tempt me: retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149208 :cool:

It's a fast, sharp-handling race frame - and a total bargain - seems a shame not to enjoy it as such :)

It's also lovely, congratulation on a great find! :cool: I wonder if the frame number would tell us anything? I'd gamble on it being '97ish, maybe it was a team issue? :shock:

Brilliant - thank you, ElPedro - I really appreciate your reply.

For what it's worth the frame number is GK784640

Does that shed any light..?

reptile smile":1lne40je said:
Brilliant - thank you, ElPedro - I really appreciate your reply.

For what it's worth the frame number is GK784640

Does that shed any light..?

not to me but agree with elp re: forks being too long...

I have this!!!

Hi there i know this is an old thread but i have recently just purchased this bike and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it would actually be worth? it has the exact same markings as this bike exept it has mint green kenda tyres

p.s i am not a bike expert lol and could not find this bike anywhere information on the web apart from here :)

Re: I have this!!!

CK3119":yhevt2r2 said:
Hi there i know this is an old thread but i have recently just purchased this bike and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it would actually be worth? it has the exact same markings as this bike exept it has mint green kenda tyres

p.s i am not a bike expert lol and could not find this bike anywhere information on the web apart from here :)

Have a look here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=140396

After that you can look for google cached pages where you can see how much previous ones have sold for and also look on places like ebay and gumtree's.
Dont forget though, value is only what someone is willing to pay. So dont value your bike personally at too much ;)

Back