Specialized S-Works Steel 1992

I've been busy with the Nitromors >>>

Any idea what the patterns are on the steel tubes? It can't be through-rust as they also appear the the solid bits, like the dropouts. Anything to do with the Argos respray it had a few years ago - etching?

Think it'll be getting resprayed in burgundy at the mo.

Attachments

• small 04052011558.jpg
    small 04052011558.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,145
  • small 04052011556.jpg
    small 04052011556.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,145
They look like rust veins.

Not sure on how or why they propagate in that fashion but have seen plenty like it all be it with paint over the top.

Perhaps getting it galvanized before spraying could be an option?

letmetalktomark":19r2xp80 said:
They look like rust veins.

Not sure on how or why they propagate in that fashion but have seen plenty like it all be it with paint over the top.

Perhaps getting it galvanized before spraying could be an option?

Oh! Or may be sand blasting and red oxide??? Thanks.

tiboltrider":15p7qogp said:

This is just may lay understanding.

Can you feel any pitting? If not and no rust is evident internally then it is probably nothing o worry about.

I only mentioned the galvanizing as it seems quite common practice this way (East Anglia)

letmetalktomark":1hnlgz0p said:
tiboltrider":1hnlgz0p said:

Can you feel any pitting? If not and no rust is evident internally then it is probably nothing o worry about.

I can't feel any pitting, but it was showing through the paint so I don't want it to happen again to the new paint job. :roll:

Frame

Prob just a bit of minor rust were the paint was cracking open, Vapour blast polish (very fine glass powder, doesn't erode much steel) should remove this easily enough, but use a two pack powder coat, not a single colour, rust proof etching white first then colour of choice.

agreed with world ranger.. The steel at work would often develop this kind of rust that was easily blasted off when treated.

Rio":24uua1ss said:
any updates on this cool frame? Interested to see what happened :D

It's still tucked away in a cupboard at work. :oops: I'm slowly getting the Explosif and Blizzard back on the road first, then the Sworks and Hinde.

:D

Back