New forks (for 700c wheel) on old Raleigh Royal frame

bobit200

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

New to the forum - this is my first post!

I have an old Raleigh Royal frame and forks (found them in a skip at local site!), must be from the the 80's. It has a rear wheel spacing of 125 and I can only presume the original wheels would have been 630 in size (havent got the original wheels with it). The frame and forks where in great condition (apart from paint job), so had them shot blasted and re-sprayed. Just started putting it all together, came to the forks and I cannot get the original crown to fit (well it fits OK, but does not sit really flush and is a little lose.) As I was going to put some 700c wheels on it (I have some brakes that will reach), can I replace the original forks with modern ones that are built for 700c wheels? or will it just mess things up as its an old frame?

Also, does anyone know where I can get some 700c wheels that will fit the 125 rear spacing. There are a few on ebay, but they all seem to be tubular rims?

Any help?

:D Thanks

Firstly welcome -

I'm no expert just offer opinions, if the brakes reach and the tyres will fit, close clearance frame? then go ahead.

With regards to wheel spacing, as long as you look for 6 or 7 speed hubs you should be Ok. Then again with a steel frame you can get a 130mm in no problem.

I wouldn't swap the forks. The bike will take a nose-down attitude as 700c's are shorter, which will ruin the steering and handling. My advice is to get some deep drop callipers and then you should be fine. If you are really lucky, your existing ones will reach.

The Royal is a nice frame! :cool:

Forks , try LFGSS forum .
Also if the bike started with 27" you might find 700c forks a touch short. Or maybe not if you find some with clearance for big tyres.

Back