Is my frame bent???

JimNicho

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok, here's the story.

I've been collecting the parts to build up using a free frame I picked up.

I put the rear wheel in, and there's a 10mm difference between the gaps between wheel and chainstay left and right.

I'm certain the axle spacers etc. are right, because it's a disc wheel and the disc & caliper line up perfectly and the wheel spins freely.

It's a second hand wheel, which I think is a little out of true, but not that far.

My only conclusion is that the frame is bent... am I missing something??

could be that the wheel isnt dished properly
this is where its not aligned centrally

it would affect axle spacing

get wheel checked first

That's a point... hadn't thought of that.

Is that going to be a LBS job, or can I check it roughly myself.

I figured it would have been a simple enough job to build a bike up myself... I'm beginning to think I should have just bought a complete bike... especially with some of the bargains I've seen on here!!!

building a bike is great fun! much more enjoyment when you ride it

yeah its an lbs job unless you can true/untrue wheels (or have a truing stand and dishing tool)
as it will involve truing the wheel until the rim is central
it shouldnt cost you too much though 5 or ten pound maybe

I've tried another wheel and that's about right... there is still a difference, but only about 3mm so it must be the frame.

The disc wheels I have were a freebie, so I can't really complain, I just hope my LBS can just sort them as they are without needing too many new bits, as I'm not sure the budget will stretch.

I guess I should get the front wheel sorted too.

JimNicho":5gags3pr said:
I've tried another wheel and that's about right... there is still a difference, but only about 3mm so it must be the frame.

huh? so its the wheels or the frame?!
if you take wheels to the shop, they wont need any bits. just aligning

Just re-read it... DUH!!! It's the wheel that's out... I'm currently resisting the temptation to buy a new wheelset for £45 LOL

To check that just put the wheel in the other way and see what the gaps look like compared to previously.

An out of whack wheel is far more lik,ely than a bent frame. As the man says, try the wheel in back to front.
One alignment check for the frame is to run a length of string from the rear dropout, up and around the head tube, and back to the other dropout. measure the gap between string and seat tube , each side. if the distances are the same, your frame is most likely OK. ;)

Back