Modern Bike

fridgehq

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, I have returned to mountain biking after a 12 year gap the bike I used to ride was a proflex 857 because I enjoyed that bike so much I have managed to get hold of a proflex 4000 K2 cheap. I have been riding that for about 2 months now but keep thinking of new stuff like a Giant full suspension I am 46 years old and wondering whether a more modern bike would be easier to ride as i am struggling a bit with fitness and my friends say a more modern bike would be easier to live with. Any Comments ideas would be most welcome

Nooooo. Dont do it.

I was in a bike shop today looking at Cube's. I picked one up and was quite shocked at how heavy it was. Not a patch on my Kilauea.

Stick with the Retro.

Boardmans are lovely to ride, modern plush suspension and them new fangled disc brakes make for a lovely ride. Retro is ace but for regular riding and fitness bulding its modern all the way for me i'm afraid.

Pish.

Old top end is still much cheaper than modern mid range, buy old but buy wise and you can have a light snappy stealth fighter.

:)

I doubt that by today's standards the Proflex 4000 suspension is up to much (was it ever?) so I can well imagine it being a bit of a handful if you ever ride anywhere but fire roads and stuff like that. The ones that I've seen always looked like garden gates, too.

If you want to stick to riding older stuff you'd get (in my opinion) far more enjoyment out of a mid to late 90's Explosif or Kilauea with a set of 80-100mm Marzocchi forks.
Or something along those lines anyway - have a search on here and see what other people have built and ride (and like).

For more modern stuff you could get a nice steel frame (new or s/h) from the likes of Genesis, Cotic, Sanderson, Singular, Voodoo, Kona or whoever and build that up with 120-140mm forks, a decent wheelset and disc brakes.
With some careful buying of new and s/h components (from here, STW and the 'bay + online retailers) you can build a much nicer bike for your money than if you went into your nearest bike shop and took away something off the shelf.

Andy R":2rvshlxy said:
I doubt that by today's standards the Proflex 4000 suspension is up to much (was it ever?) so I can well imagine it being a bit of a handful if you ever ride anywhere but fire roads and stuff like that. The ones that I've seen always looked like garden gates, too.

If you want to stick to riding older stuff you'd get (in my opinion) far more enjoyment out of a mid to late 90's Explosif or Kilauea with a set of 80-100mm Marzocchi forks.
Or something along those lines anyway - have a search on here and see what other people have built and ride (and like).

For more modern stuff you could get a nice steel frame (new or s/h) from the likes of Genesis, Cotic, Sanderson, Singular, Voodoo, Kona or whoever and build that up with 120-140mm forks, a decent wheelset and disc brakes.
With some careful buying of new and s/h components (from here, STW and the 'bay + online retailers) you can build a much nicer bike for your money than if you went into your nearest bike shop and took away something off the shelf.

That is what I meant to say, had I been sober. :)

misteroo":2q6h1ygi said:
Nooooo. Dont do it.

I was in a bike shop today looking at Cube's. I picked one up and was quite shocked at how heavy it was. Not a patch on my Kilauea.
Cube bikes are actually pretty lightweight compared to their contemporaries & represent very good value for money ;)

Modern bikes generally have much better performing suspension, which will offer a more comfortable & controlled ride compared to retro suspension

Modern bikes also generally have much better braking power and control with hydraulic discs

Yeah a modern bike would weigh more and cost more, but there is a significant performance difference in key areas & if you buy carefully you can get yourself a bargain of a bike.

You say you want a bike that's easier to ride.

I take it you mean one that is easier to pedal?

A quick tyre swap can sort that out, some tyres are heavy and draggy

Or do you mean something else when you say easier to ride?

highlandsflyer":sgqudwzm said:
Pish.

Old top end is still much cheaper than modern mid range, buy old but buy wise and you can have a light snappy stealth fighter.

:)

My modern £1000 mid range is far better equipped than old school top end though, It runs sram X9 and X0 which is top notch, Rockshox reba race forks, Avid elixer R disc brakes with carbon levers, ritchey wheels, Alloy triple butted frame, etc all wrapped up in a nice 24lb package :cool:

Dont get me wrong i love my retro, but the modern is far better on a daily basis.

Back