BB Removal

roboade

Dirt Disciple
Hello Folks,

Need a few pointers with BB removal. Got an old Holdsworth Claud Butler Majestic, serial in the range 3500-ish (bike in garage, me in house so can't check). Clearly it doesn't take a Shimano BB tool. It has a metal ring on the non-drive side, with maybe 5 notches on it. Presume this needs a tool to unscrew, or maybe use screwdriver and hammer and go anti-clockwise ? Any pointers from there ? Many thanks.

You are correct, right hand thread locking ring. You can use a small chisel, but if you have a piece of softer metal you will not damage the locking ring. Rapid light blows are best. The other cup is left hand thread, and they have been removed by getting the largest bolt and nut that goes through the cup, and use a decent socket set with long leverage, tighten the bolt through the cup into the nut, and carry on turning clockwise.

easier with the correct tools. I've got some Campag bottom bracket and headset spanners that are joy to use on older stye bottom brackets. Depends if you are going to refit a retro bottom bracket or replace with a newer splined one I suppose.

Many thanks for the responses. Didn't occur to me it wouldn't be a cartridge. However I have the seat post out, and peering down I can see the spindle. I'd like to replace with a cartridge to avoid future hassles, as I have the Shimano BB tool.

Many thanks, got the BB out that was painless. Mind you, lotsa crud in there, looks like grease/dirt/mud combined, about 30 years worth!

Come on now, this is retrobike, what's all this talk of BB cassettes...when I was ald, etc., etc. And dead right, Campag BB tools are brilliant, also I have a pair of giant pliers (about 30cm long!) with dogs that fit the BB lockring, doddle to unscrew. Work well on motorbike suspension ring adjusters, too!

Back