Show us your Specialized

nearly retro :oops:

stumpy.jpg

Dunno if you will like my modded vintage 'Hopper project. I just couldn't take the pink & purple anymore.

Started the task with a worn & dirty Rock Hopper Ultra...The bare frame was purchased by me new in 1997 as an old-stock closeout item for only $50. Built up for my riding buddy's sister who rode it for 1 year before upping to a '98 M2 Stumper, it then was sold and made the rounds through a few other owners before coming back to me last summer, worn and beat-looking. Time for a second life!

BEFORE...

I stripped it down to a bare frame and rebuilt it as a custom Specialized single gear speedster:

AFTER.....

A stem adapter was used to mount the external-clamping 'Pivit' stem on the 1" threaded fork steerer (90's Dura-Ace headset). The cable stop at the top of the fork's brake arch now serves as a mounting point for a 150-lumen CREE LED headlight, the batteries for which reside in a small pack below the chainstay where a kickstand is normally mounted on some bikes.

Road brakes were fitted to suit the 700c wheels, but the frames original canti brake bosses were left intact in case I ever want to convert it back. Bosses for the fork were unscrewed and stored away.

Likewise, only new replica decals would be needed to restore the Rock Shox Indy C fork back to it's old look. I still have the dust boots in good condition stashed away in case I ever do. I was certainly surprised (and please) to find the color-matching black fork tubes underneath them!

Rides like a dream...Good or bad dog?

specialized

heres my 04 epic not exactly retro or standard issue i think you would agree but i have tried to make it stand out from the crowd.

DSCF0894.jpg

ratava99":2wxeshch said:
AFTER.....

Rides like a dream...Good or bad dog?

like it - a bit flashy but very neat work ;) :cool: love the light trick

tried to do a bit of the same with my Sunn 5000 with 700CC ( but 2X:cool: but could not make some dura ace road brakes work properly ( especially in the front with the rigid fork) so had to use mavic adapters and XT V brakes. Feel much safer ;)

I went with Tektro 538s, which seemed to have just enough reach to work. Note in the photo that the front pads are set to their minimum reach on the brake arms, while the back is maxed at the maximum reach. JUST made it.

I used the same brakes on my Diamondback Wildwood modded with 700c wheels with success. I'm amazed at their quality for so low a price.

Back