Those with Bufonophobia look away now, ORT content

so is offroad and offroad toad the same company...and am i correct to assume offroad thence became girvin? (i vaguely recall this being the case) nice bike, interesting geometry, does it have a particularly short top tube?

merckx":dtu8uki7 said:
so is offroad and offroad toad the same company...and am i correct to assume offroad thence became girvin? (i vaguely recall this being the case) nice bike, interesting geometry, does it have a particularly short top tube?

Two different companies. One made Pro Flexes and all that stuff and the other is a low volume frame made out of Mountain & Beach Bicycles in Vancouver, BC.

Gorgeous ride Andrewl, got to be a contender for this month for sure.

I wonder if placing that Offroad ad for the Flexstem at the foot of a Toad review was a deliberate ploy - it must have caused some confusion BITD.

What's up with the accutrax, they were standard issue on most that made it over here, I certainly remember a couple of early pre-bolt on dropout ones in that bright green using them. Is yours a fillet brazed one, hard to tell from the photos. Either way, it's nice![/i]

pete_mcc":181bov7y said:
What's up with the accutrax, they were standard issue on most that made it over here, I certainly remember a couple of early pre-bolt on dropout ones in that bright green using them. Is yours a fillet brazed one, hard to tell from the photos. Either way, it's nice![/i]

There's nothing wrong with the Accu-trax as such, I just don't think its the right fork for this frame in comparison to other frames of a similar age.

Here's some more of a similar age for comparison (with rear cantis).

46346_463611915249_630685249_6922915_2992499_n.jpg

44576_463611790249_630685249_6922911_8221630_n.jpg

Rather than start a new thread for my other Toad, I'll make this my Toad build thread.

Back in 2008 by chance I saw that Jez had his black Toad for sale and so given that I'd been looking for one for ages I grabbed it as quick as I could.

It was previously owned by a mtbr member and I'd say its been through a few owners before that too. After a bit of research I'd led to believe its either a 92 or 93 frame. Anyway it like the green one has been well used but the original black powder coat is in reasonable condition and so I'm going to leave it.

Normally I don't start actual building of a bike until I have everything for the build, but as this is getting close and there has been a bit of focus on Toads of late I've started doing a bit of work on this one as I'd like to get it finished over the (Australian) winter in time for spring.

So here's a photo pretty much as I received it (derailleur added later).

main.php

The build for this one is going to be mostly black and silver with small bit of blue and so far I have the following:

Headset: logo less King in turq
Stem: Syncros 1" threadless
Seatpost: Syncros ti
Cranks: Syncros Revolution
Fork: Manitou 3 with 1" crown/steerer
Derailleurs: M900 XTR
Shifters/Brake levers: M900 XTR
Hubs: M900 XTR
Brakes: Machinetech canti
Saddle: Flite Ti in blue
Bars: Either Syncros flat bar in black or blue Hyperlite (will see how they both look).

A progress shot should be up after the weekend :cool:

Just a brief update on this one.

Still waiting for parts to arrive from various parts of the globe, so its still not as I'd like but I threw some basic bits and pieces at the bike to at least get it into the Canadian BOTM.

I quite like the two bottle cages on the down tube even though its not that functional so they will stay in the final build. The yellow bottles were the only ones which matched but I think they work visually with the green.

When all the parts arrive I'm going to strip it back to a bare frame so I can clean everything properly and protect the frame properly.

green_toad_188.jpg

green_toad2_125.jpg

I've also been thinking of changing the rear derailleur from the road one to an XT732 version to match the rest of the XT parts but am unsure if I should do this as the one on there has pretty much been on there from when it was built originally.

The date codes on the shimano parts also date to around February 1989 so based on that I'm leaning towards it being built up as a bike in 1989 - not that it matters that much. :cool:

Back