Those with Bufonophobia look away now, ORT content

Interesting bike, is the seatpost clamp in front or behind the seatpost? or both?

Derek Bailey (RM) built Toad ? Being a U-brake ?
Have you ask dekerf about any information, he found his old Toad serial numbers and details a short while back (last days of March). don't know which version for though.

andrewl":2bark6kl said:
At the moment I'm wondering what to do fork wise. Currently there is an Accu-trax fork on the bike but its not quite correct for the frame (close but not quite right), so I'm thinking of pulling it off and changing it for a Tange Switchblade which were fitted to many early Toads. Alternatively a set of Syncros Powerlites would be great but the search for a good 1" crown for own (or whole fork) isn't going so well.

Progress photos a little later...

a bontrager fork, preferably a curved one

jimo746":3okpl0wa said:
Interesting bike, is the seatpost clamp in front or behind the seatpost? or both?

The seatpost clamp is on the front and the loop on the back is for a HITE-RITE (which I'll add later).

hite-rite.jpg

hollister":dvg41xz3 said:
a bontrager fork, preferably a curved one

A Bontrager fork would be the best but based on the Feb 89 Toad test I think it should be a straight blade. Either way I don't have one, and haven't tracked one down so the Switchblades which I have and are are pretty similar are the best option for the moment.

I'd also like to find a pump which fits along the chainstay too but am not really sure what fits.

For refference here is the Feb 89 Toad test and is the only other Toad I've seen with a U brake.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

awesome, Andrew...get it in the comp for this month. You can always perfect it later, and enter it a second time since it's a special month.

I remember discussing this bike with you at length. I just couldn't pull the trigger on it; kudos to you for doing so :cool:

GoldenEraMTB":3njfn5ld said:
awesome, Andrew...get it in the comp for this month. You can always perfect it later, and enter it a second time since it's a special month.

I remember discussing this bike with you at length. I just couldn't pull the trigger on it; kudos to you for doing so :cool:

Yep the plan is to work on it for the next week or so and then put it up for the vote.

It did look pretty ugly in the eBay photos but on pulling it out of the box while its obvious its been neglected - I suspect its sat outside in the weather for a reasonable amount of its life. Its pretty sound though (its pretty beefy) and has a real charm. The few people that have seen in it the metal think its pretty awesome too.

In a way its a shame that the original wheels went AWOL as they would have been nice to have (they may still be in a bike shop in Sioux City though). I've got some XT hubs for it just like the orginals but will probably use some more modern rims to build them up as period rims are hard to come by. Tyres also will be an issue but I'm sure something will turn up in time too :cool:

Back