Gazelle Champion Mondial in Amstel Beer Red

Elev12k":2g51ci8c said:
Very kind from the previous owner to donate the Exage levers, but why not try to find NR panto'ed levers to match with the shifters? :D
I thought putting Shimano 600 on with the Campag panto'd levers may have been a bit of a crime in itself :) I guess Exage is going one worse! I have only see panto'd levers on this bike http://www.classicbikeshop.eu/gazelle-details.html so I didn't fancy my chances of finding any. Have not seen any on eBay or anywhere else, so I'm guessing they will be expensive if they do come up? I was originally thinking of using the Exage levers until I get some Shimano 600 6207 series levers.

Did Gazelle ever do panto'd cranks or stems?

Elev12k":2g51ci8c said:
Are you intending to set the Gazelle up as rider, showbike or a bit of both?
Bit of both. I certainly plan on riding it quite a bit, but also want it to look the part. I should have posted my plans for the frame in my first post, but I want to build it up with period parts as much as possible. I want to source or build up some 32h or 36h silver box rims (mavic open pro/velocity razor style), and want to have full Shimano 600. Thinking of a San Marco Regal saddle in white with white bar tape and white cables. But am open to ideas :D

There were also panto'ed stems, posts, NR cranks and I have even heard of mechs ...so you will need all these to complement the shifters and levers :LOL:

Seriously now, I think the 600 is great functional kit and especially suited if you plan to use the bike were it is made for: riding.

The idea with the white detailling composition sound good.

Elev12k":1b0wjrzc said:
I think 116mm
I did notice a reference to BB size in an old Shimano 600 catalogue of 68-W-116 as per below, but the closest sizes available seem to be 115 and 118mm. Is it better to go for a 115mm or 118mm?

ShimanoBottomBracket.jpg

I would give 115 a try

The hoods look much better now. What did you use for it? Maybe an even better result can be achieved with a tooth brush and shampoo. I always got spectacualr results.

I used some Gumption (general purpose cleaner) on a rag with a bit of warm water. Never thought about shampoo, but will give it a go.

I'd love to, but the budget won't stretch anywhere near that far!

I that Phil Anderson in you avatar? Got to ride alongside him earlier this year in Adelaide. His calves are still huge.

NO WAYYY!!

how FANTASTIC!!

yes it's phil anderson on the avatar -
i wasn't even aware that he was still into the bike.
he was one of my favourite riders - you always saw him up front in the tour de france ripping the legs off of the whole peloton with those massive legs!

did you get any photos? how come you were out on the bike with him?

brilliant!

rusty :D

He was in Adelaide when the Tour Down Under was on and rode a charity ride called Ride Like Crazy. Its a 100km ride through the Adelaide hills, so I shared the road with him and about 1000 others. I knew he was riding it but wasn't really looking out for him. With about 20km to go I was drafting behind this guy with huge calves, but didn't realise it was Phil until he slowed and I came alongside him. He's a really nice guy, very friendly and I was able to chat with him as we rode. He was riding with some mates so I only rode alongside for a few kilometers. He still looks like he could rip the legs off most cyclists. His legs are still very sculptured! He still does quite a bit of riding and is sponsored by Malvern Star (a bike company here in Australia), and Phil works with their bike development team.

Didn't get a photo unfortunately, but the organisers took the photo below before the ride started.

162672_500872184509_330418944509_5956492_6612816_n.jpg

Back