My 99 Kona Muni-Mula

PhilStone

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hey all..
Found this site after trying to show a colleague a pics of some M210 shoes I had ages ago... Now can't stay away!
Got into bikes back in '93 (had bikes before but they were really dire and and not worth talking about!) when iI got a Marin Muirwoods for Christmas.. upgraded vitually everything on that to the point that the frame was massively below the rest of the bike..
Then in 96 I got a Univega Aluminum 703 frame and spent the rest of Christmas day and Boxing day swapping it all over..
Raced it during '97 in the local DH series until July that year when I crashed messing about with a traffic cone... (I tell everyone else it was training - practicing pre-jumping :oops: ) and managed to cut myself up pretty bad - managed to get back on the bike about 6 weeks later to find out my back really hurt after a few miles... Went to physio etc and found out I'd compressed my lower vertebrae in the crash! Joy! That was about it for me then - passed my driving test, found nightclubs etc etc and the bke took a back seat! Eventually sold it to a mate (who still has it - will up some pics of it shortly)

Anyway after finding this site it gave me the kick up the ar$e I needed to get back into it..

Saw the Muni-Mula Dan was advertising and knew that it ticked all the boxes - same size and similar geometry to my univega that I loved and always liked Kona's... So a deal was done and it was mine...

img_4367_195.jpg

As soon as it arrived I took it out of the box and assembled what I had (even though I didn't have enough to build it!!)
IMG_0066.jpg

Slowly parts turned up and now it looks like this...

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

Spec:
Frame Kona Muni-Mula
Forks Marzocchi Bomber Z5 100mm

Stem Kona
Bars Easton
Saddle Easton
Seat Post Easton

Chainset Deore
Front Mech LX
Rear Mech XTR
Shifters Deore

Brake levers XTR V
Brakes Deore (XTR on the way)
Cables Jagwire

Rims Rigida/Mavic
Hubs Quando/LX
Tyres WTB Stout 2.4 Folding

Did contemplate a respray but its not actually in bad condition, might get it redone though next winter.. see how things go..
Safe to say though the bugs bitten again - just wish it would get lighter/warmer in the evenings quicker! :cool:

Cheers Giles!

XTR V's have arrived today.. will fit them tonight which will complete my wishlist for the brake setup...

Well, the red and blue theme could be coming to an end..

Hoping to get some new forks in the next week or so as these are a bit too heavy and unsophisticated...

Weighed the bike on Thursday and it weighs approx 26lbs - a lot better than I expected so am going to see how light I can get it without compromising strength too much (there aren't any major DH's here - mainly singletrack and I'm not heavy - 10st!)

Will update as/when new forks and wheels arrive...

Found some new forks - RC39s, so think the blue & red colour scheme might be on its way out.. Luckily the mrs Hahanna is red so can transfer the bits over to that... I've got some grey cables ordered so think will go down the stealth route..

Will update with pics once its rebuilt...

Forks fitted.. started to build last night...

IMG_0068s.jpg

IMG_0067s.jpg

IMG_0066s.jpg

IMG_0065s.jpg

Found some 3M Carbon Fibre type tape which I'm going to use for the paint protection.. Was almost tempted to wrap the whole bike til I realised it would add too much weight!!!

Back