Skye 2011 Aftermath thread....

kaiser":2td03qsg said:
I'm definitely going to do this this year, could it be done in a day, travelling included?
The Quiraing? Hmm.

1. Fit flat pedals.
2. Don't start the ride from the top car park. Park down across from the cemetery and push up from there, you'll miss the horrible crevasse near the start that gave us conniptions and miss most of the unrideable stuff too.

The trouble is, if it's a nice day, you'll be stopping all the time for pics.

Mibee nearer the time I'll pick some more brains :D would anyone else be up for it?

I think a day trip would be pushing it, or limit your ride a little - Googlemap travel times were bang on (5 hours from dundee to staffin, longer from salcoats) I could have saved some time on the a9 by going faster but it was the other roads that are slow going, constantly stuck behind slow moving cars with nowhere to overtake. Mid week might get rid of some of the traffic but you then get trucks in your way.

Quiraing: The offroad ride its self is very short, and to be honest if it wasn't a nice day it wouldn't have been so much fun.
It took us so long because we stopped to admire the views so much, it is a nice hillwalk and we did miss some of the good bits because we had bikes and were a little short on time, getting the path right and not having puctures would have made the decent a lot better though.
Personally I would start at the top despite my vertigo issues but you do need 2 of you to cross the gap. The last climb although tough felt like a real achievement.

Flat pedals are a must, and I'll be taking 30m of rope and some carabiners next time :)

Why the flatties? So for best bang for buck stay the night before and hit it early?

You would be constantly unclipping, for safety as much as anything else, some of the paths are very narrow - 8 inches so. Occasionally you foot your self along so you can stay on the bike. A full suss would handle the waterbars and rocks a lot better, they were the cause of puctures among the unskilled :) The sides are much steeper than they look but then I'm a feardy. How they rode down some of those slow sections is incredible.

Night before and wild camp at the top would be fun, watching the HandI video though you can see them going back over the same ground again and again, filmed form different angles, lets you see how much A to B riding there is, and although we treated it as such it isn't the best A to B trip and is more of a play area to find routes in. If I went back I would want to wander more and find more of the fun bits they did.

Some more - Sunday, The Quiraing :p

Campsite at dawn
skye031.jpg

The Dodgy Bit
skye033.jpg

skye036.jpg

skye038.jpg

skye043.jpg

This one didn't make it
skye044.jpg

skye046.jpg

skye048.jpg

skye049.jpg

skye051.jpg

skye052.jpg

skye056.jpg

skye058.jpg

skye059.jpg

skye061.jpg

skye062.jpg

skye064.jpg

skye066.jpg

skye067.jpg

skye079.jpg

skye084.jpg

skye082.jpg

skye083.jpg

Photobucket playing up :evil: :evil:

....will get back to it soon

here we go............

skye074.jpg

skye075.jpg

skye076.jpg

Another puncture
skye087.jpg

skye090-1.jpg

....and replacement chainring bolts......
skye091-1.jpg

skye089.jpg

skye097.jpg

skye098.jpg

skye102.jpg

skye107.jpg

skye109.jpg

skye112.jpg

skye116.jpg

skye117.jpg

skye120.jpg

skye123.jpg

Shiel Fire :shock:
skye129.jpg

skye140.jpg

skye141.jpg

skye143.jpg

....and way home through North Ballahulish, Night Fire :p
skye150.jpg

skye155.jpg

Now - the write up................................

It Was Brilliant :D

kaiser":39e6t5xp said:
So for best bang for buck stay the night before and hit it early?
You know, if it was me doing it again, I'd be inclined to do the following:

- Get up there the night before, camp at Sligachan
- Up bright and early, pack up tent. Sligachan to Camusanary. Then back out the way you came to Sligachan. 16 miles, no road, no bog, all the good riding.
- It's now mid-afternoon. Quick lunch and 45 mins in the car to the Quiraing. Fit flat pedals to the bike.
- Do the Quiraing if you've still got time. Again, I'd skip the first section, since it's mostly hike-a-bike unless you have a screw loose or your name is Hans McAskill. It is possible to get your bike over the crevasse single handed (Mr P did it), but it's pretty ropey (see my facial expression above).

I think Sligachan is the much better ride. The first two miles (ish) are a bind, especially if you're anything like me and it takes a while to find your groove. The entire ride is really rocky, doesn't flow well at the start and you need to commit to the water bars, shifting your weight back and forwards to get the front/rear wheels over - it was really tiring, since they're incessant at the start. When it does start to flow it doesn't give you a break either - you need to be constantly on, picking the right lines over and around the rocks.

There isn't much up or down, more like short, sharp rocky climbs and descents. Pick bike and tyres accordingly. While it's rideable rigid (and Singlespeed as Jamie demonstrated), you'll enjoy it much more with some front bounce as a minimum. I think we were really lucky the weather was so good, it'd be a very different proposition in the wet.

By the time we reached Camusanary, I was really enjoying it. It's not particularly fast, but it is challenging, and I really felt a lot more comfortable with all the rocky stuff by the end.

Back