Stripping paint… off paint??? plus name that RM!

sum'tin like this?

3M™ Marine Rubbing Compound
Suggested for heavy, aggressive compounding of oxidized gelcoat and marine paint. Clings to paint and gelcoated surfaces - remains wet on the job with little or no mess. Buffs to high gloss with minimum of swirl marks. Can be used by hand or machine.

Full Description »
Maintains high rate of cut with constant pressure.

Attachments

• 3M-MarineRubbingCompound.jpg
    3M-MarineRubbingCompound.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,647
that IS cutting compound but may be too abrasive. you need something gentle so as not to damage the paint when you get down to the original. try G3 comnpound by 3M - body shops use it to flat off car bodywork after a respray. it is abrasive enough to cut through the paint but not so abrasive to strip loads off

I do hope it came with the seat collar.

I'd try thinners on a hidden area and if it works continue over the frame, you'll probably strip the clear coat from the original paint, but you can just re-lacquer.

RockiMtn":3g9p9jpj said:
Got myself another project and was wondering if there's an easy way to strip paint that has been sprayed over the original paint? Or if it's even do-able??? :roll:

A little petrol on a rag can work surprising well too.

it came with a collar, although somewhat knackered. it's usable but i'll be trying to source a replacement.

it's hard for me to judge if the frame has just been really REALLY cleanly welded or if it has been fillet brazed.

all signs point to this to be perhaps a Blizzard, with the inline joining of the seatstays and top tube, the extended seat tube, and the weight being around 2kg. but i've been reassured from the source this is a non production Altitude, but he's inquiry has not yielded an answer for what purpose it was built. perhaps a prototype for frame/paint, or custom built for a rider/racer?

The joint radii don't look nearly big enough for fillets, I suspect this was tig'd by someone very skilled (look at the Catalyst welds) and then a heavy powder coat applied hiding the welds.

the weld looks even cleaner than the brodie, but like you said it could be the paint. i've been told it's just paint, not powdercoated.

If it's custom it's not an Altitude so would be a Thunderbolt which could look like that and I don't think they had to be fillet as it's custom. They are rather large tubes there.

Best bet is to find someone with a 1995 Blizzard or maybe the 1993/4 and compare ?

I have a 95 Blizzard. It weighs 4.7lbs (!)
Its seat tube is not so long, not sure if has rackmounts.
But, not think its a Blizzard.

Altitudes dont (normally) have rackmounts, and not have so long st extension. Think its not an Altitude. Have a 91, 94, 96. Had a 93 to compare.

The slash ST means early-mid 90s.

God knows what it is :LOL:

Guessing colour is a team respray. But the solid red/yellow teams were 93/94 ish. To be resprayed in this would be unusual from what I have seen, as seem to be done to latest spec from fatory.
So could be a special from factory, as would be very new new for a respray.

Sure no serial under paint? The often not deep.

thaks gump. I was using the catalouge 1995 Blizzard and the frame weight wis around the same as yours as is this one.

The 1994 had higher rack mounts and a shorter seatube extension. At least using the catalogues as a basis. CAble routing is correct as well.

I thought your 1991 Altitude (the rusted top tube one ?) was a 1992 ? The reinforced seatube part was 'flat' at the bottom, like EdEdwards's but in a more managable size?

Attachments

• 1995 Blizzard (G).JPG
    1995 Blizzard (G).JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 938

Latest posts

Back