Carlton Pro Am -wheel query

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I've an entirely original Carlton Pro Am for about 1980.

It even has the original mudguards & wheels.

Since I've just about finished my other 'projects'. I'll soon be turning my attentions to the Carlton.

All it really needs, is a damn good clean - and then, to be used.

However, both front and rear wheels have broken spokes; should I (to keep it 'original') have the wheels re-built, or should I get some 'better' wheels second hand - such as Mavic Open Sport/Pro ?

The current wheels which are original (700c) look nothing special; I'm not sure whether they are worth re-building - what would you do ?
[[/url]

Attachments

• carlton.jpg
    carlton.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 2,555
My vote would be for rebuilding the originals or a pair of period correct replacements second hand. Open Sport/Pros would look all wrong.

Mark.

Ive a pair of originals going unused. Solid but need a clean, infact a have 90% of the Prom Am being unused! :LOL:

daccordimark":1vc5vl5n said:
My vote would be for rebuilding the originals.

Cheers for the reply, Mark !

How much do you reckon it might cost to get the wheels rebuilt ?

Spokesmann":1vc5vl5n said:
Ive a pair of originals going unused. Solid but need a clean, infact a have 90% of the Prom Am being unused! :LOL:

I know exactly how you feel !

I can see myself getting 'sucked in' to spending a modest amount of time & money on this bike.

I've built up a few frames into decent, roadworthy bikes over the last few years. Too be honest, I probably enjoy hunting for parts & getting the bikes up & running, more than I do riding them. In fact, as soon as they become roadworthy, I seem to lose interest in them.

And so, I acquire yet another frame.

Anyone else find this to be true ?

Spokesmann":vorcfx2a said:

Have you ever ridden a Pro Am ?

What are the Carlton Pro Ams like to use ? I've mentally classified it as a sort of poor man's Dawes Galaxy, rather more a tourer than a pure racer.

I've never been on my Pro Am.

Its not really a tourer as there are no mudguard eyes for starters, also I don't remember them having centre pulls, but I may be wrong. I had a carlton criterium in fern green that had centre pulls, so perhaps carlton were keen on them.

When I had a shop in the 1950/60's rebuild the pair with new butted spokes would have cost £1.25 all in, and would take no more than 2 hours.

The Pro Am is OK, a bit of a gate at 25" frame but solid and responsive. Its got at good 531 frame and although lacking the style and character of the earlier handmade Carltons, is a pretty good quality machine, nothing top end just acceptable and workmanlike.

Back