Seat Post Stuck

12monthban

Dirt Disciple
Good day to you all.....

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with my seatpost @ the moment, the top of the seat post has become loose so the seat swivels, this issue has been magnified now that it seems the seat post is stuck in the frame.
I adjusted the height of it about 6 months ago so it cant be that ceased but it is not moving for love not money (not rubber mallet)
I have squirted some penetrating oil into it and left if for 48hrs or so but it is not budging...
My next step would probably be drilling through the seat post, shoving something metal through it for leverage...

Any suggestions would be great, the bike @ the moment is un-ridable, I hope someone on here might of come up against the same issue and has a solution.

DSC_0031Small-2.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tommeh.

Have you tried a plumber wrench?

If you manage to get it out, don't forget to apply anti-seizing compound.

Do a search on this site, there are plenty of threads on the subject with increasingly drastic measures.

I'd strip the bike, give it plenty of doses of 'Plus Gas' down the seat tube from inside the bottom bracket shell for a week, then finally put the seatpost into a bench vice and twist the frame to break the bond.

hamster":i7zkufsc said:
Was that on the Norman Fay? You must be overjoyed!

damn right!

had a near NOS 27.2 Campagnolo post to put back in.

we killed the old post though.

norman_143.jpg

fay_328.jpg

I'm just horrified about all that rusty gunge coming out of the headset and down the stem. Had it spent a week at the bottom of the canal? :shock:

hamster":2fin6lfn said:
I'm just horrified about all that rusty gunge coming out of the headset and down the stem. Had it spent a week at the bottom of the canal? :shock:

a few years in a garden.

Success!!! Thanks for the suggestions. A weeks worth of carefully applied GT85 and some serious persuasion!
All I need to do now is to find a nice old skool 26.4 seat post!

Back