Gazelle Champion Mondial in Amstel Beer Red

J8B

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

Inspired by jCymbal's excellent Gazelle Champion Mondial thread (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128193) I thought I would post my Gazelle build as work progresses.

I took possession of a 1981 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB frameset last week and also purchased a number of parts from the seller. The frame came with pantographed campag downtube shifters and a Shimano 600 headset, but was otherwise is a blank canvas. Additionally I sourced Shimano 600 brake calipers, crankset, front derailleur and seatpost as well as the original bars and stem from the bike. The seller generously threw in a set of Shimano Exage levers as well.

I haven't taken any photos of the frameset since it arrives, so here are a few from the auction:

gazelle041.jpg

gazelle039.jpg

gazelle004.jpg

Rear brake caliper below. Look to be in pretty good condition, but as can be seen in the second photo the pivot bolt is slightly bent. Not sure if this is going to cause any issues?

P1030699.JPG

P1030701.JPG

Hi J8B,

Nice :cool: I followed that auction. I think you got a excellent deal with that very nice frame ...and even more because of the panto'ed shifters :)

I am lucky owner of two Gazelli is Amstel paint: A-frame and AB-frame

On the calliper I can say that you could disassemble it and try to carefully bend it back. Or source another (donor) calliper. They are not that hard to find.

Elev12k":2p616zyq said:
Nice :cool: I followed that auction. I think you got a excellent deal with that very nice frame ...and even more because of the panto'ed shifters :)
Thanks. I thought it may have gone for a bit more than it did. I really like the colour and the full chrome fork. I was surprised by how light it feels too, having never had a lugged steel frame before.

jCymbal":2p616zyq said:
Wow! That's a beautiful frame. :cool:
Thanks, I can wait until its fully built to be able to ride it.

Elev12k":2p616zyq said:
On the calliper I can say that you could disassemble it and try to carefully bend it back. Or source another (donor) calliper. They are not that hard to find.
I did disassemble it the other day to clean everything, but didn't try and straighten it. I may mount it and see what it looks like before taking apart again.

The caliper fully disassembled:
P1030737.JPG

Here are the Shimano Exage Motion levers that came along with the parts. Hoods both need a good clean but the levers seems to be in good shape.

P1030755.JPG

P1030756.JPG

P1030754.JPG

Have a question on the bottom bracket size for this frame. I am presuming it is English BS68 but an not sure on what spindle length I should be looking for? I am planning on putting on a Shimano 600 double crankset as pictured below. I have been looking at the Shimano UN54 Tapered Axle bottom brackets, but am unsure how to determine the spindle length.

P1030711.JPG

I think 116mm

Very kind from the previous owner to donate the Exage levers, but why not try to find NR panto'ed levers to match with the shifters? :D Are you intending to set the Gazelle up as rider, showbike or a bit of both?

Back