Let the Benotto restoration commence!

mooster

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Time to start work on this one....! :D

Although I'm not quite sure what model or year it is? Can anyone tell by the frame number? It has the diamond stays so is probably Italian made. :)

Attachments

• DSC02663.jpg
    DSC02663.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 3,316
  • DSC02662.jpg
    DSC02662.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 3,315
  • DSC02661.jpg
    DSC02661.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 3,315
  • DSC02660.jpg
    DSC02660.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 3,315
more BB pics

Attachments

• DSC02666.jpg
    DSC02666.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 3,314
  • DSC02665.jpg
    DSC02665.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 3,314
  • DSC02664.jpg
    DSC02664.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 3,314
Benotto

From what I recall, and this may be corrected, is the ones that were made in Italy actually said on the decals 'made in Italy' on the Benotto decal on the seat tube.
The Mexican made ones just had 'Benotto Torino .... ' on the decal. With later not mentioning where built.
There seems to be a bit of snobbery about with regards whether frame is Italy or Mexico, both handmade with decent tubing, upper and lower model ranges in incremental quality.
I am sure there are a few ' friday afternoon' weld jobs from both Italian and Mexican ranges.
Before I get crucified by Mexican and Italian welders and Benotto owners I must stress these are my memories and opinions and like the rest of my life they may not be based on actual reality ;)

Jamie

Was transferring manufactuing to Mexico something a lot of Italian builders did in the '70s?

I don't think so, I think it was only Benotto that transferred production to Mexico, but it's true to say that in all reality wherever the frames were made they are good handmade frames!

Just checked though and this one was made in Italy....! :D ;)

Would love to find out when though......? Any clues from the frame number?

Benotto

Hi
Massive interest in Benotto's, have a Model 3000 from 1979 which was originally finished in chrome and laquered over,never seen one like it

Looking at the pictures,diamond chainstays would point it to a Model 3000
Top of the pile frame
Made of Columbus Acciaio Speciale
The numbers on the bb on one side indicates the frame size being 58cm
Opposite number doesn't make much sense
On mine it's stamped 1-81-57 (57cm) frame
and opposite 1-23-79 (making it 1979
So i would say definitely high end model 3000
Hope this makes sense to you
All the best
Malc (Cipo)

I also have a Benotto 3000, would it have been made in Italy? It has no "Made In Italy" sticker on it but I figured that the higher end frames would have been produced in the homeland, right? Or were all Benotto frames from a certain period made in Mexico?

Thanks for the help guys, a bit more research points it to the modelo 2700, pista version of the 3000. Still not sure what year though....!

Back