Alfine and Middleburn crank

splane

Retro Newbie
Does anybody have any advice on getting a 'perfect' chainline using Middleburn cranks RS8 X-Type Uno 3, or RS8/7 square taper bb (what size?).

I'm building a Hummingbird, haven't used a Alfine before but know it's chainline is 42.7mm - a bit of a newbie so any guidance would be most welcome.

cheers.

X-type:
Original Alfine Chainset is similar to a road compact and runs on a road BB. RS8 X-type uno will have different offset so you would need to fiddle around with spacers till it's right - which precludes using a Road BB.

Square taper: no idea. Sorry.

Thanks for replying.

dbmtb":1sylizmf said:
X-type:
... you would need to fiddle around with spacers till it's right...

Do you know if an external BB can offer this level of adjustment?

Apols if these are basic Q's - I've read that the hub sprocket can be turned round to get the line closer to 47 so that might be a better starting point with the Uno.

If the square taper can offer a better line then I'll be tempted to go down that route.

thanks

I'm using an Alfine 8 on my Hummingbird with Middleburn RS7 cranks (square taper) and Uno chainring. With the Alfine sprocket fitted to give the wider chainline (ie dishing inwards) the chainline is perfect with a 113mm BB (SKF 600 series) which is 47.5mm.

You might also findthis interesting.Maybe this too.

And plenty more stuff here too.........

Andy R":235zpsn2 said:
I'm using an Alfine 8 on my Hummingbird with Middleburn RS7 cranks (square taper) and Uno chainring. With the Alfine sprocket fitted to give the wider chainline (ie dishing inwards) the chainline is perfect with a 113mm BB (SKF 600 series) which is 47.5mm.

Thanks Andy. If I went with a shorter spindle then, in theory, I wouldn't need to turn the sprocket over but I'd have to look for something like a 103mm bb which are available. Of course I'd have to consider the chain ring clearance, any idea how tight this would be on the Hummingbird?

splane":13988pfc said:
Andy R":13988pfc said:

Thanks Andy. If I went with a shorter spindle then, in theory, I wouldn't need to turn the sprocket over but I'd have to look for something like a 103mm bb which are available. Of course I'd have to consider the chain ring clearance, any idea how tight this would be on the Hummingbird?

I couldn't get away with a shorter BB than 113mm, not an SKF anyway. As it is, there is only about 1mm clearance between the drive side bearing and the inner face of the crank, chainring clearance with a 32 tooth Uno is about (well exactly, as I've just measured it) 6.5mm.

Turn the sprocket to give you the better chainline is my suggestion.

Back