Judy XC Refurb

northerndave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I thought I'd keep a track of a pair of Judy's I'm refurbishing, partly for the fun of it and partly as a reference for other intrepid Judy owners.

Part 1..
This was a £12 pair from eBay I only really bought on a whim.
It's not gonna get much worse than this. This is what a dead Judy looks like...

Complete with shock oil to add that extra level of gore..

DSC_5680.jpg

That looks really nasty. At least the outer legs look cosmetically sound. Good luck.

Been fettling some Judys today also, mine now have nice clean lubed internals and fresh bushings all round.

REKIBorter":2nmu6o3v said:
That looks really nasty. At least the outer legs look cosmetically sound. Good luck.

Been fettling some Judys today also, mine now have nice clean lubed internals and fresh bushings all round.

Where did you buy the bushings from ?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
REKIBorter":1rxhotfx said:

How did you get the old bushings out?

ishaw":1xyrf9qj said:
How did you get the old bushings out?

Fortunately I had access to a full Rock Shox service kit - not mine BTW. To remove the bushings is tough, they are pressed in very firmly. To remove one of the bottom bushings I had to resort to a long thin screwdriver and a hammer. I am sure the top bushings can be removed without the correct tools, just a bit of improvisation.

Wondering if somebody can give me some info on the cartridge of this shock.

Recently bought a retro ride for a fix up (97 GT Zaskar). The Judy shock is new to me and I have a question about it's assembly. NorthernDave's photo is about the best info I've come across regarding assembly of the cartridge (the 1996 Judy Service Manual has crap pictures).

On my fork the rubber O-ring is in several pieces. I have a replacement on the way. For illustration purposes on my photo only I use a slightly smaller O-Ring and place the pieces of the old ring beside it.

I am confused on the reassembly of this cartridge. From Northern Daves photo I see the black plastic piece retaining piece laying off to the side, then from the bottom of the cartridge upwards one of the black seals with the spring inside, a flat washer and the O-ring.

I seem to have 2 of these black seals with the spring inside. I am confused where the 2nd seal goes and the orientation of the flat side of the seals during installation.

Any help would be much appreciated!

6440895245_3a5faf5878_z.jpg

I'm definitely not an expert on Rock Shox but that's a pretty nasty ash tray you have on your work top. Don't you know that smoking's bad for you? :LOL:

(Nice toaster though-proper british engineering)

Back