1991 Wicked Fat Chance

Yeah, tried it with the Park crown race boom tube :) It took some doing to get it halfway up the steerer, and then there would be the threading beyond that, so I gave up. The old Manitou steerers don't have a 'bulge' for the crown race to sit on, so instead there is a little sleeve between the race and the steerer, which stays a constant diameter. Ugh.

I've done a few old Mani's in the past and succeeded but threw in the towel on this one yesterday. Meh. I may give it another go this weekend....
I could also try to soak then tap out the sleeve bit....hmm...

yo-Nate-y":1fqofhpl said:
Yeah, tried it with the Park crown race boom tube :) It took some doing to get it halfway up the steerer, and then there would be the threading beyond that, so I gave up. The old Manitou steerers don't have a 'bulge' for the crown race to sit on, so instead there is a little sleeve between the race and the steerer, which stays a constant diameter. Ugh.

I've done a few old Mani's in the past and succeeded but threw in the towel on this one yesterday. Meh. I may give it another go this weekend....
I could also try to soak then tap out the sleeve bit....hmm...

ah! Give it another shot; you'll get it ;) :LOL:

Ugh. Pulled the race undamaged. But of course, I can't get the damn sleeve out. It's soaking in penetrating oil now. But I think I am just going to order a new black Tange Levin. Fine headset, right color, and easily available.

....that is unless anyone has a spare XT 730 crown race handy???

I'll probably end up trying both. For now, I want to work into the gap and get 'em unfused. Am I wrong in thinking the race should be steel? I'll check when I get home later.....

But yes. The Yo fork is nice, but that last pic of the Teedale fork's curves makes me drool.

Nice project!, I must say you have overdone your quota of nice bikes, please leave some for the rest of us.

Alas, I may be having a bike purge coming on.....I may be in for a big cross country move and bringing the whole stable may prove difficult.

Despite a big move and possible sell-off in the works, I couldn't bring myself not to build this up.

Progress!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,018
Back