road cassette on MTB hub?

MCsanandreas

Mountain Cycle Fan
Feedback
View
could i fit a road cassette onto my Kona mtb rear hub? if i did would the shifters also work or would i need road shifters? its all Shimano at the moment.
want to put an 8 speed on there as the Kona has 8 speed mtb now.
any other problems with this idea?

cheers for any help!

I have been using road cassettes on MTB hubs for years on my work hack. Currently using a Shimano Tiagra 8 speed cassette (12-23) on an LX FH-M565 rear hub with Alivio shifters. Works great

K

currently got a 9 speed road cassette on XT hubs, built onto road wheels. Only slight problem is MTB spacing is 135mm, road is 130, so you have to "spring" the frame apart a bit each time you insert the rear wheel.

this all sounds good. i also have a Shimano 105 short-cage rear mech to use,after a good degrease.
off to CRC for me then.

ta folks!

pigman":2e7z2ntm said:
currently got a 9 speed road cassette on XT hubs, built onto road wheels. Only slight problem is MTB spacing is 135mm, road is 130, so you have to "spring" the frame apart a bit each time you insert the rear wheel.

Yes using MTB hubs on a road frame would mean springing the frame but as far as I'm aware you can use MTB (i.e wide ratio) cassettes on road hubs with no problems....

Back