Help Identifying this bike.

Phillips were well know component maker supplying many wholesale and manufacturing outlets, so no surprise. Probably the hubs are chrome plated not nickel, so the wheels may well be later.
Lets concentrate on the chainwheel and cranks?

Didnt Phillips also make bikes before the war and before being taken over by Raleigh? I guess though that the existence of a hub with that name on it (as they did make components) doesnt prove anything........The truth lies beneath that paint!!

By the 1950's Phillips were better known in UK for components, but were a large cycle manufacturer in the TI group who ultimately took over Raleigh and hundreds of other names.
This bike is more likely to be a maker like Comrade, who made bikes for CWS (Coop) and Vindec (Brown Bros)

The colour of the paint on the frame before I cleaned it and red-oxided it was black with the remains of some white paint on the lower part of the rear mud-guard.
If there are any other parts of the bike that I need to look at or if you were to see pictures of. Let me know what they are and I'll take a couple more pictures for tomorrow.

Ray, I would like a look at the hubs, showing the spoking. The wheels look to me like a small shop rebuild. Also the chainwheel and crank area.
Somewhere I have several pdf files of Brown Bros catalogues (Vindec )from about 1930, I might be able to email them, or could be too large.

I should be able to get these photo's up this evening (Fingers crossed) I'll also put in a picture of the rear brake assembly as I don't know what a single side assembly is. The only reference I have been able to find was on a bike with wire brakes as opposed to the rod brakes my bike has.
While I'm waffling the reason I purchased this bike was to retrofit it, to be as close as possible to a WW1 army cyclists corps push-bike. Any advice you could give would be most welcome.

Ray, where are you going to get the short magazine Lee-Enfield? I was prepared at the age of eight to use one if we were invaded.

It would probably be close if the hubs and handlebars were black, as most bikes from that age were. Also paint the rims black.

I looked at Brown Bros catalogue, and oddly most of the rod brakes had the rear brake rod down the left side, whereas yours is on the right, as most bikes were.

The brake rod rear on the wrong side could just be where I reassembled the bike after cleaning it. On Monday I'll see if the brakes will work with the rods on the other side. the frame does look like the brake rods can go on either side as the pivot has a curve "washer" to hold it flat to the frame. Here are the requested photo's of the spokes, chainwheel and for good measure one of the rear brake assembly.

Attachments

• hubclose1.jpg
    hubclose1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 322
  • spokesclose1.jpg
    spokesclose1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 322
here's the chain-wheel and rear brake assembly.

Attachments

• chainwheel.jpg
    chainwheel.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 321
  • rearbrake.jpg
    rearbrake.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 321

Latest posts

Back