no2, raleigh europa team 1980

mrlee

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have had this one sat in the garage for a while now, I have a thing for 70/80's raleighs and fell for this one .
The condition in the pic is how I bought it ,there are a few problems but all superficial ,the chain is for the bin as is the cranks they have had both pedal threads destroyed and the drive side brake stay needs slight attention,
there is a snapped spoke on the rear wheel but the hubs and rims are in such good condition i might re-spoke them.
All the drivetrain is raleigh and the brakes are weinmann . I have seen so many variants of these I think this is copy of the higher spec ones any extra info would be greatly appreciated,
IMAG0726.jpg

Always nice to see. Sure its not earlier?

Here it is in the 1974 Raleigh catalogue, along with the Team Record which was the higher more professional spec machine in the same striking colours.

Europa.jpg

sorry im presuming its an 80 model because of this decal, there's a frame no too, NL1428135 ,
plus some close ups,
IMAG0728.jpg

IMAG0731.jpg

IMAG0729.jpg

IMAG0735.jpg

IMAG0733.jpg

IMAG0738.jpg

I do love to see that paint scheme. Fantastic.

The Europa was quite a 'modest' bike offered by Raleigh, but it seemed to be offered for quite a long period of time (from memory).

Quite a few braxe-ons there - pump pegs under the top tube, rear brake guides, front lamp attachment on fork and mudguard eyes - all very practical.
The TDF winner sticker is a good starting point for establishing the earliest possible date of manufacture. (But not necessarily the adjacent year for the oower models). Given its 'modest' nature, few would have been refurb'ed by later owners (on economic grounds it made little sense, perhaps for some on sentimental grounds).
Serial number guidance - http://www.jaysmarine.com/TH_raleigh_se ... l#19731982
The serial number suggests made in Nottingham (N) in August (L) 1981 (first number - '1').

Thanks for the photos. Enjoy,

David

Although modest in spec, it was high on looks in my view, that paint job saw to that.

As these bikes are so 'retro' now they are well worth preserving for posterity. If this is done to a good standard it will turn plenty of heads!

looks pretty original to me for an 80's version. Looks like the gear levers are on the wrong sides, ie the left is on the right and so on.

Always good to see an old gem, please don't turn it into a fixie.

kula":1y4o4ve3 said:
looks pretty original to me for an 80's version. Looks like the gear levers are on the wrong sides, ie the left is on the right and so on.

Always good to see an old gem, please don't turn it into a fixie.

x2 ;)

dont worry no fixies here ,,,,, ever.
Managed to find a dead framed 78 arena "which still rides" with the same brake fittings etc all in good condition so that will save a lot of time , I have two months to get this ready for a charity ride im doing (mancr to blackpool and back) so I think I will be ordering some spokes and cranks asap.
Lee.
p.s yeah i thought the shifters were close ;) cheers,

Back