Home made Bike repair stand

Supratada

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I had a few odds and sods knocking about in the workshop / man-zone, so I thought I'd fabricate a home made bench top clamp.

Concept sketch (not on a fag packet)
Clamp1.jpg

photo.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Only problem is the thing is so front heavy it won't stand on the floor on its own, so I need to find somewhere to store it in the man-cave.

jamabikes":2zfvj9md said:
Please dont clamp bikes on the top tube. Makes me feel all funny thinking about it:(

Yes, I agree. Should be clamped by the seatpost all of the time. If you are worried about damaging your fancy seatpost get a cheapie one to use for holding the bike when in the stand.

REKIBorter":2apcc5bg said:
jamabikes":2apcc5bg said:
Please dont clamp bikes on the top tube. Makes me feel all funny thinking about it:(

Yes, I agree. Should be clamped by the seatpost all of the time. If you are worried about damaging your fancy seatpost get a cheapie one to use for holding the bike when in the stand.

Unless you are a complete muppet and tighten the clamp like a gorilla I can't see how you can damage your top tube. My Park stand has lovely soft jaws that you barely need to tighten to grip a bike solidly.

Rob Atkin":2qpf928x said:
REKIBorter":2qpf928x said:
jamabikes":2qpf928x said:

Unless you are a complete muppet and tighten the clamp like a gorilla I can't see how you can damage your top tube. My Park stand has lovely soft jaws that you barely need to tighten to grip a bike solidly.

what about when you put 40nm through a crank bolt? the forces are put straight through to the clamp. i have seen enough crimped/dented/burst top tubes in my time to make ya knees wobble

I can't believe 40Nm would ruin a top tube unless the bike was made of Kit-Kat wrappers. I don't doubt you've seen it happen, but 40Nm is no force at all. The maximum opening force for the edge of a door is only 20Nm, as laid down by the DDA, and a gust of wind can open that.

Back