My 1955 Gillott

I have a 1952 lugless Gillott frame. On building it up it seems that the forks take a 26" but the rear is built for 27". Frame numbers on frame and forks match. Whats going on?

I pm'd separately, but I'm pretty sure his stolen bike was listed on ebay a few weeks ago. The auction was pulled early, so it would be nice to think he got his bike back. Does anyone know?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
converse320":h1pbl0bo said:
I pm'd separately, but I'm pretty sure his stolen bike was listed on ebay a few weeks ago. The auction was pulled early, so it would be nice to think he got his bike back. Does anyone know?

I'm happy to say that I did indeed get my bike back! :D

To cut a long story short, I found out the seller's address, which was in Witney, and arranged to 'view' it. After many phone calls and much argument with the local police (who seem unconcerned about recovering stolen property), I managed to persuade them to knock on the seller's door and to relieve the seller of my bike at the appointed time. Actually, it was an hour later as they couldn't disturb their meal break.

I then had to argue with the police yet again in order to wrest my Gillott from the Police as they wanted to store it in their warehouse for an indeterminate length of time in case it may be needed as evidence. Slim chance of any court case since the ebay seller wasn't the thief.

By the time I got home it was about 10pm, so I set about polishing it up and getting it back into decent condition. There was nothing I could do about the scrapes and dints on the frame, and the saddle was beyond help having been stored outside in all weathers for many months, but everything else came up well, and the chrome on the frame was still good (it had recently been chromed and painted by Argos before the theft). By 1.30am it was looking pretty good and I took it for a ride the very next morning. It still rides beautifully.

Now all I need is the return of my Colnago Master Olympic that was stolen at the same time...

Back