Best specialized FSR

If you look at an earlier enduro watch out for cracks across the top of the seat tube weld. I bought a frame in 03/04 and built it with new bits, loved it and would still have it now if it hadn't been for a friend showing me where his had cracked and noticing mine had done the same.

Luckily I'm friendly with the local shop and they spoke nicely to Specialized who sent me a new 09 stumpy FSR with a brain shock as a replacement... they view the newer stumpy as the equivalent to the old enduro due to travel, etc.
p4pb752628.jpg

The new stumpy is great, but it took much more playing to get it setup how I like it.

Kevhl":3htkq60m said:
If you look at an earlier enduro watch out for cracks across the top of the seat tube weld. I bought a frame in 03/04 and built it with new bits, loved it and would still have it now if it hadn't been for a friend showing me where his had cracked and noticing mine had done the same.

Luckily I'm friendly with the local shop and they spoke nicely to Specialized who sent me a new 09 stumpy FSR with a brain shock as a replacement... they view the newer stumpy as the equivalent to the old enduro due to travel, etc.
p4pb752628.jpg

The new stumpy is great, but it took much more playing to get it setup how I like it.

Thanks kev. I'll check that out on the enduro I've got my eye on

I've had an '02 Enduro and an '06.

The 02 was great, especially with the fancy Fox shock (itch switch for travel adjust, rebound adj, lockout). They look a little dated to me now though. Great frames nonetheless.

The 06 model is a little heavier, but has more travel and is a bit 'burlier'. I prefer the 06 style of frame, it just looks more modern and still rides great.

I'd definitely recommend either, both frames can be had for good money. 04 for £200 ish and 06 for £300 ish.

2002:

16112010416.jpg

2006:

IMG_0197.jpg

I rode a 2010 model at a Demo evening around Whinlatter, and that was great too :)

There's some lovely bikes here. Making my problem worse!
Are FSR's difficult/labour-intensive to keep running?

get a 99/2000 and fit the betd link , it seems to stop the frames breaking,
seriously
the bikes ride a lot better in my opinion with it fitted
fit some rebas/ recons and your choice of kit and you have a good bike
i do think the 05/6 epics are a better bike ,just depends on your riding
style tho

or
buy a cannondale prophet and just ride it

trickylad":3sil2woq said:
There's some lovely bikes here. Making my problem worse!

Not really, once you have the bike built to your spec its probably the same cost wise as any full susser..........but more fun and where ever they go they turn heads

trickylad":2s6wd7yv said:

Sadly, yes.

Lots of small bearings at pivots which will develop play at some point.

Bolts also need removing and regreasing at intervals - but this is preventative maintenance and doesn't take long...

dbmtb":28zh81r4 said:
trickylad":28zh81r4 said:

Sadly, yes.

Lots of small bearings at pivots which will develop play at some point.

Bolts also need removing and regreasing at intervals - but this is preventative maintenance and doesn't take long...

But thats all part and parcel of owning any sull suspension bike so I wouldnt take that into account as you would have this with every full sus bike made

the more simple single pivot bikes are easier to keep
as in a the afore mentioned cannondale
the generalizeds fsr/epics do seem to eat bushes tho
hence the better specced betd kit

Back