1981 nishiki rally

oldschoolfool

Retro Guru
1981 giant made nishiki rally
any idea what this is worth please.
i have no pics yet,but is identical to this pic,bar a few scratches and perished tyres

551px-Rally1983.jpg

anyone help??

Attachments

• 551px-Rally1983.jpg
    551px-Rally1983.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 3,838
Extreme entry level road bike, Hi-Tensile steel frame with chrome plated steel rims. Probably in the 159-169 dollar retail range when new. I think there was even a year when they imported these from Korea from what I remember of them.

thanks for the reply.i sort of new about the bike side of it though

$170 in 1981 would be $490 today.that was a lot.any idea of todays price though!!

cheers :D

I don't believe they were made by Giant but rather by Kawamura in Japan in 1981. They were teh cheapest model in the Nishiki range and did not have any true redeeming features. I would expect them to be worth about the same as an entry level Halford's bike.

oldschoolfool":3m625dgs said:
$170 in 1981 would be $490 today.that was a lot.any idea of todays price though!!

Wrong...totally disagree with you on the assessed increase in value. By 1989 there were still $159 Shimano Tourney road bikes with chrome plated steel wheels. Panasonic Sport 500, Centurion Signet and many others everyone had one If that was a market today there would still be road bikes under 200. It just not a part of the market in IBD bikes maybe mass merchant.
That market today has gone to upright bar 700c wheel bikes and even Schwinn has a model at $220. Bikes have always been a bargain even considering inflation over decades. Where else can you buy something with nearly 2000 individual parts for ~$200.

gm1230126":21v76h7b said:
oldschoolfool":21v76h7b said:

Wrong...totally disagree with you on the assessed increase in value. By 1989 there were still $159 Shimano Tourney road bikes with chrome plated steel wheels. Panasonic Sport 500, Centurion Signet and many others everyone had one If that was a market today there would still be road bikes under 200. It just not a part of the market in IBD bikes maybe mass merchant.
That market today has gone to upright bar 700c wheel bikes and even Schwinn has a model at $220. Bikes have always been a bargain even considering inflation over decades. Where else can you buy something with nearly 2000 individual parts for ~$200.

no,what i meant was in 1981 $160 was a lot of money,not that the bikes worth that now!

oldschoolfool":tnbl1s4f said:
sadmemories20":tnbl1s4f said:
I don't believe they were made by Giant but rather by Kawamura in Japan in 1981.

definitely Giant made.frame number on one side of the dropout,date made on the other

I suppose it depends on in which market the bikes were sold. I was working in a Canadian bike shop in 1981 and I can guarantee that there was not a single Nishiki Rally that was made in Taiwan. The Taiwanese-made models didn't turn up until 1983 and the drop in quality (especially the BB threads and assembly quality) was such that we substituted anoher brand for them.

Back