Help Identifying this bike.

rayoung74

Retro Newbie
Apologies if this is in the wrong place.
I recently purchased this bike and all I can tell you is that it had spent many years in a garage and the Gent I bought it off of thought that it was a Hercules. Apparently it dates from 1918-1925 ish and was a Police bicycle.
What is not apparent on the pictures I will post is that there is not a "Continental" back-pedal to brake on ths bicycle.
Enough waffling from me here are the pic's.

Thanks in advance for any help you can Youngie

Attachments

• bicycle1.jpg
    bicycle1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 964
  • bicycle2.jpg
    bicycle2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 964
I have 5 more pics hopefully with the info I have provided this will enable an I.D. to be made

Attachments

• bicycle3.jpg
    bicycle3.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 962
  • bicycle4.jpg
    bicycle4.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 962
Last 1 of the bike the other 2 pics are both of brake blocks. I don't know if they're original but it might help.

Attachments

• bicycle5.jpg
    bicycle5.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 958
When I saw the first brake block pic I said "John Bull", and so it is, but not original. They made replacements. Nickel plate indicates probably before 1930, but otherwise standard cheap roadster, nearer to 1930. The angles look a bit steeper than I would expect. Single sided rear brake crank indicates not Raleigh or BSA. The lamp bracket doesn't appear to have a logo, or the chainwheel, so could be any one of perhaps a hundred makers.
Does it have any chrome plate?

the only bit that has any chrome plating is the wheel rims theese have Dunlop made in England and 28/1and a quarter inch stamped on them. The chrome has started to peel on the front wheel. Hope tihs helps you out a bit.

The wheels would be 28 x 1 1/2, and after 1930, probably later than the rest of the bike. If you had a Sturmey Archer 3 speed it would be possible to date it. So the wheels may be later. Any details on the hubs?

Back