The finishing touches - advice required

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi All,

At long last, I shall soon be getting my SBDU 753 frame up and running.

I decided to keep the frame as it looks on the pic and not to create another 'replica'.

I'm looking for suitable brake levers & I'd be interested to know what other people might fit, and aero or non-aero ?

I've seen Modolo Kronos & Mafac Professional - would either of those be suitable ?

I'm also uncertain what pedals to fit; do I go for some kind of 'efficient' clip-in (modern) pedals or do I go for the old-fashioned pedals with toe clips ?

I'd like to get fairly weight weenie components.

Please help me to make a decision - I'm still 'dithering'.

Thank you for any advice/suggestions

Attachments

• Raleigh.jpg
    Raleigh.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 925
Nice frame LPR. I would love to try a 753 frame just to see what all the fuss was about back then. They're probably not as good as modern high-end steel tubes but then again it would out-perform me any day!

Your brake lever choice is determined by the rest of the kit isn't it? I don't know when the frame was built but I'd probably go for aero levers, mainly because I prefer the smooth look (oooer missus :shock: ).

I don't know the Mafac ones you mention but I always associate Kronos with time trial bikes so they wouldn't get my vote. Looking at that headset you could be on for a Campag C Record build (£££ ouch) or something else of that era. The last run of Super Record gear might look good with white lever hoods and non-fluted cranks. A period correct Dura Ace or Suntour Superbe groupset would look good too of course. So many choices - I don't envy you.

As for pedals I'd go for the two pronged approach. Get some nice quill pedals with toe clips if they match the rest of the groupset just for 'photo purposes and put some clipless ones on when you ride it.

Mark.

daccordimark":1f2tr397 said:
Nice frame LPR. I would love to try a 753 frame just to see what all the fuss was about back then. They're probably not as good as modern high-end steel tubes but then again it would out-perform me any day!
Mark.

753's with a good set of wheels are brill to ride, I could never afford one as a schoolboy and junior racer back in the day, so picked one up a couple of years back. It's like all your effort is chanelled into making the bike go forward, which is just what you want really :LOL:

As for finishing equipment for the Raleigh ( I see you asked the same question on the Team Pro forum) I'd go for Campag, looks like the headset is athena or something which I think is out of kilter with the age of the frame though. If funds permit then it's record or super record.

kula":2gzpk8uo said:
daccordimark":2gzpk8uo said:
Mark.

753's with a good set of wheels are brill to ride, .

I've got a few pairs of older wheels, I'd appreciate comments as to suitability; I've a pair of Mavic Open 4CDs - black rims in very good condition, I've a pair of Wolber Profil A - black rims in very good condition, and a pair of Mavic Open Pros - which are brand new. I'm leaning towards the Open Pros - but the Wolbers seem very light.

Cheers again for the help; the trouble with hoarding so much stuff, is that it makes it difficult (for me, at any rate) to make a decision on what to fit.

kula":3ibel07y said:
daccordimark":3ibel07y said:
Mark.
( I see you asked the same question on the Team Pro forum) .

Yeah, no replies though. :(

Hi have been emailed some replies from the team pros forum, but have already deleted them.

Re the wheels, I ride on 28 spoke open 4cd, with a mavic 501 hub on the front and an ultegra cassette hub on the rear with some cheap tyres from Spa cycles that were on offer for £6 and it still rides like a dream.
I used to race on Mavic GEL 280 with dura ace 7400 hubs with vittoria tubs and they make the bike feel even better, however the risk of punctures is too great so I tend to ride on the open 4cds.

I would say any of yours would be good, as long as they are straight and the hubs are smooth and hopefully not 36 hole.

Having thought a little more about this, if your bike is to be used, then I'd go for Dura Ace 7400 transmission and brakes as it works well. Bars and stem either 3TTT or Cinelli whatever you can get at a reasonable price. My fav saddle is San Marco Rolls after having turbos, tornados and all the others of the 80's.

If you are after a garage queen, then go for campag of the generation that you are after.

hope it helps

kula":ihihw2sf said:
753's with a good set of wheels are brill to ride, I could never afford one as a schoolboy and junior racer back in the day, so picked one up a couple of years back. It's like all your effort is chanelled into making the bike go forward, which is just what you want really :LOL:

+1; my old Brian Rourke frame was a brilliant ride, but sadly too big for me. Steel, properly designed and built, still has a lot going for it - my old Cougar SLX (courtesy of Terry D. himself) and current 531c Orbit race frames were/are no slouches either; the latter, without tri-bars or any real "trick" componentry [1] bagged me an OK mid-table finish in a local TT last night.

David

[1] Can't really count the Hope QR skewers for all the difference they make. They do look nice though.

Latest posts

Back