Charlieboy’s 97 Voodoo Erzulie

Charlieboy28

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well after much fannying about the Erzulie is finished, albeit for a few more bits of blue ano which I have probably over done ,so why stop now I say.
I got a very mint but very standard Erzulie from the very good man himself Ernie and went all orange and blue on her ass, she seems to handle ok with the Z1’s which did come as a spec option for her, but I have only ridden her up and down the road a bit so far, will update after a proper ride and will definitely know after Forest of Dean,

Well anyways here she is my very pretty IMO 97 Voodoo Erzulie, thoughts and opinions welcomed, even the negative ones ;)

Charlieboy

Frame: Voodoo Erzulie 18”

Fork: Z1 Bomber

Headset: FSA MX
Stem: Raceface Deus XC
Handlebar: X-Lite XC
Grips: Token Blue Lock ons
Barends: None of that for this bike

Brakes: Avid Arch Rivals
Brake Pads: Avids
Brake Cables: XT
Cantilever cable hangers: NA
Brake Levers: XT M739

Shifters: XT
Front Derailleur: LX
Rear Derailleur: XT M739
Derailleur Cables: SIS SP 41
Cassette: LX/STX
Chain: KMC
Cranks: XT M739
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings: FSA and Stronglight middle
Chainring bolts: Sars
Bottom Bracket: XT UN72
Pedals: Wellgo B-52

Hub Skewers: hmmm blue ano titanium far east cheap jobbies
Rims: Mavic 238
Hubs: STX and Voodoo front
Nipples: lol
Spokes: yes lots
Tyres: Conti speed kings 2.1s
Tubes: conti

Saddle: Ithys Gove
Seatpost: Titec
Seatpost Binder: Salsa Lip lock

And lots of blue ano bits mainly x-lite

Weight: 27lb ish

Attachments

• voodoo chile.jpg
    voodoo chile.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 4,606
  • erzulie 13.jpg
    erzulie 13.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 4,607
  • erzulie 12.jpg
    erzulie 12.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 4,604
  • erzulie 11.jpg
    erzulie 11.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 4,605
more piccies

Attachments

• erzulie 10.jpg
    erzulie 10.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 4,604
  • erzulie 9.jpg
    erzulie 9.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 4,604
  • erzulie 8.jpg
    erzulie 8.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 4,604
  • erzulie 7.jpg
    erzulie 7.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 4,601
few more

Attachments

• erzulie 6.jpg
    erzulie 6.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 4,600
  • erzulie 5.jpg
    erzulie 5.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 4,600
  • erzulie 4.jpg
    erzulie 4.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 4,601
  • erzulie 3.jpg
    erzulie 3.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 4,599
lovely bike in a lovely colour

possible improvement could be a change of crankset as this XT looks "dull" (not talking about the shyniness which it has!) but more about the elegance to match the rest ;)

I really like it charlieboy. Think it looks cracking and pretty much how I would have built it in 97 if I had the time or money back then.

Without patronising check on those forks - crack easy around the two bolts for the legs. Only realised this was common when I sold my Z2s last year and had a disappointed buyer!

:cool: :cool: i think you have just relaunched a very under estimated kult klassic :cool: :cool:.I have read many comments on here by fellow members saying how under estimated these bikes were in the day :cool: ..a very nice build my good man..nice colour match with the bombers..that coachwork does sparkle in the sun..nice one mate ;)

Ernie ;)

Do you like orange by any chance? Hmmm, so do I.

It's what they called a size 18.5 (they did 16, 17.25, 18.5, 19.5, 20.5) It was obviously built for a much shorter fork, but the X-Lite Xcountry has a huge amount of sweep and in my experience gives very fast steering, so maybe that will be equivalent to using a short stem to compensate for the slack head angle.

Those five-arm M739 cranks are quite rare and nice. I kind of agree with bduc61, but I think it's just the FSA rings - the original Shimano design had silver inner and middle rings and that looked better somehow.

Back