Going tubeless

Yes you can inflate tubeless with a track pump, some set ups are easier than others to inflate that way

A compressor is another way to inflate tubeless

It's all about getting air in fast

Some sealant manufactures say not to use CO2 to inflate their systems

I use Joe's No Flats as I couldn't get Stans sealant

orange71":2mlan1kx said:
Andy B":2mlan1kx said:
The tyres were damn tight on the rim, but they inflated fairly easily with a track pump & a bit of sweating.

interested you managed to do this as that was all holding me back as I have no access to a compressor, but I do have to a track pump.

And after 3 punctures last night I'm rearing to get on with it :LOL:
How did I do it?

Pump hard and fast!

Soapy bubbles are a good lube to use to help the tyre seat quickly (see the link in one of my previous posts), I didn't have to use any, but most folks do have to

Or use a CO² cartridge to seat the tyre initially, then either carefully crack a section of bead off and add the sealant or remove the valve core and add it that way.

Stan's and CO² don't mix, that's for sure - it makes the sealant coagulate in rubbery lumps :roll:.

Right, encouraged by all of this talk of tubeless, I watched this, popped over to Leisure Lakes on the way home and bought two bottles of Stan's costing £4 in total, followed the video exactly except where he used a compressor I used a track pump I borrowed from next door and as this was on my 29er tyres, I used old 26" innertubes I had lying around.

20 mins later (literally!) I had 2 tubeless tyres :cool:

Now, if they stay up (and I am sure they will) - that really was a piece of p*ss.

I can recommend the soapy water though, plenty of fairy liquid.

Job's a good'un :cool: Total cost = £4 plus two old inner tubes.

they'd gone down a bit overnight :roll: - combination of 2 things I think 1) soapy water still on the bead may be letting out some air 2) I used 1 small bottle per tyre, which is presumably ok for a 26er but might not be enough for a 29er, so I'll top it up. Apart from that though fine :D

Tyres are Michelin XC All Terrain 2.0 and are quite a tight fit (which might help in this process).

Did you do the shaking them about in all directions thing?

I've had excellent results from various Michelin tyres fitted ghetto tubeless, so they should be fine. I use about 60ml per wheel, whether 26" or 29" and then top them up with another 20ml after a month or so.

I managed the ghetto system last october and need to do it again with new wheels . Not a single puncture since .
Only time it went down was when I sliced open a tyre wall and in very cold weather , I had to top it every 3 to 4 weeks in the winter .

I had a go on a bike fitted up with tubeless tyres last night. Think I will stick with old fashoned tubes for the present time.

Back