Early Disc Braked Bike and Mag Alloy Bike ?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Hello again, today seems to be my day for asking questions.

Years ago in the late 80's just before I became interested in mountain biking I seen a couple of mountain bikes that have left me intrigued to this day. I'll give a brief description from my hazy memory and see if you expert types can suggest what bikes they might have been !

First in 1989 or 90 whilst on holiday in Keswick the lake district I seen a brand new bike in a shop window with a very high price ticket for the time. The mtb was a rigid machine, orange in colour, nothing remarkable otherwise in appearance except for its brakes. The bike had front and rear cable operated disc brakes, this at a time when many cars and motorbikes only had front discs. I cannot remember the make but the brakes had me staring in awe, the rotors were smaller than you find today but discs they were. Can anyone suggest what bikes had disc brakes as long ago as then.

Second bike was seen beneath a teenage lad in Dundee when I was a student in 1989 - 90. The bike was purple in colour with square section raised chain stays and said magnesium alloy on the frame. I remembered seeing a mag alloy bike on 'Blue Peter' or 'Tomorrows World' being run over by a landrover in the studio and being undamaged and wondered if this was a similar bike. The lad was certainly chucking it around riding down steps and similar. Any thoughts on what bike this may have been ?

Not very good descriptions I know but I have always wondered what they were.

Thanks for any help you can share.

Cheers

nr2 sounds like a kirk precision, but they broke under the pressure of a particularly harsh glare....

Kirk-6b.jpg

The first one sounds like an Orange fitted with the early hope disc brakes. Somewhere I've got a review of the original cable operated hope disc brakes fitted to an orange clockwork. If it was one of these it may have been an option or fitted by the shop. Although Hope are based in lancashire so might have been something to do with them directly.

HTH
Ed

Yup the magnesium bike I saw was a Kirk Revolution and I seem to have been out in my minds eye by 2 years as it was definitely the purple framed revolution I saw. I was in Dundee untill 1995 so that figures !

An Orange coloured Orange with early Hope Discs, this also seems possible.

Thanks people as always you know your stuff.

Cheers

Back