Integrated Headset - What's missing?

JimNicho

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok... time for probably the first of many dumbass questions.

The frame I'm hoping to build up uses an integrated headset. It came with most of a headset, but I'm not sure what, if anything is missing, as I'm new to the ahead system in general, especially integrated ones.

Obviously, the top cap is missing, but I have one of those. I don't have a crown race, as such, but then it uses cartridge bearings, so the bottom race is part of it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.. pics attached

Top Bit
IMAG0430.jpg

Insert
IMAG0431.jpg

Bearing cup and bearings assembled
IMAG0432.jpg

Bearing components
IMAG0433.jpg

looks ok to me :? or am i wrong :?

thats semi-hoop near the bottom though, you should put back in as it holds in the bearing seal

are you considering a new one or on a budget?

I'm definitely on a budget, and the bearings seem fine. I took it apart to give it a clean as it was a bit manky.

I'm hoping to just pop in some shiny new ball bearings and fresh grease.

I'm familiar with the circlip holding the bearing in, but took a picture of it to make it clear what I have.

I figured there must be SOMETHING that goes on the fork crown for the lower bearing to sit against as it IS tapered.

I need to get my backside into gear as I need to have it built by September, and I have barely even started stripping/polishing the frame.

I'm pretty sure you still need a crown race - a mate of mine changed forks on his old bike and left the crown race on the old forks, the headset tightened up and the forks didn't fall out but by turning the forks it was quite clear it needed the crown race - lots of grinding and tight spots!

oh i didnt realise that!
i thought that last part was it

yes, you will need a crown race to sit in there

I had a similar one on a carrera subway , cleaned it and cou,dnt get it to run smooth .On closer examination the races were well pitted so i had to get one of those halfords fsa ones £19.99 :D

Thanks mate. I've just had a look on the Halfords site, but they don't specify the OD of the bearing cups... Could always ask them to measure I guess.

I took mine up to show them and one technician tried to sell me pedal bearings for the headset.. :( slight difference I said ..

Back