91 Bontrager race lite

Tyres

ededwards":1ga5n9st said:
That's really sweet Joe and although I understand your tyre choice pictured I'd love to see it with some amberwalls, even if only for a photo.

And cool link Jan!

Heya Ed, i have listened and after its maiden 70 mile ride on Saturday i swapped out the tyres for the said Amberwalls ;)

And i agree it does look better.

I too suspect it maybe an early Offroad model. I was just transferring the info from the seller.

Thanks for your positive comments. I intend on finding some Bonty forks and replacement brakes has i type :cool:

link

bonty98":2ylx5iaz said:
Wow, what a nice Bonty!
I think the tires are perfect for the trails :)

I don´t want to upset you in anyway, but i actually think you have an original Off-Road. Really cool bike.
Take a look at the link below.
Jan
Off-Road vs Race Lite

Hey Jan, thats a great link on the Bonty. I would 100 % say i have a Bontrager Off Road.

It shares every early feature shown in the link you posted ;)

I guess this makes it a bit more special :?: I have a 1990 MBA test on the Bonty Off road and this was my dream ride at 14 years young!

I need to find a template for the anti chainsuck plate to re-make it. And also ill try and hunt for some early Bonty forks :roll: Hens teeth :!:

my all time favorite bontrager.......as others have said......SWEET..!!!!

I maybe able to help you with the template?

Slimjoe:
Yeah, the guy who has the site really is the man regarding Bontys but also Ritcheys.
He has another site called Old Mountain Bikes that´s dedicated to all things Ritchey.
The red race lite in the comparison pictures is the frame I bought from him.

Forks etc

hollister":3bsbcayx said:
you should use 5/3.8 stepped ferrules on that frame

what version of fork are you looking for?

It has stepped ferrules on it...They fit perfect into the riveted bosses.

What would be the fork to use on an Off Road. Would it be the early welded version? I know the later ones had bonded dropouts etc.

Id be ecstatic if i could find a suitable set :D

Managed to find an NOS m-732 XT rear hub, 732 brake levers, Black m-730 XT chainset...

...mag review from the archives... :cool:

Attachments

• Bonty2.jpg
    Bonty2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,266
  • Bonty1.jpg
    Bonty1.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,266
Ill ....

ill take a pair of those forks from the review ;)

Thats the same mag test i mentioned earlier..I almost had mine repainted grey.

Sinnerman, may you be able to offer some assistance with the chainsuck plate?

I would be hugely greatfull.

Back