Is it bad form....

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
...not really a retro Q, but is it such bad form to put mtb style spds on my road bike....I don't really want to have to buy another set of pedals and shoes.
What difference can it make apart from scornful looks from the fashion police?

Harryburgundy":3tt00n9t said:
...not really a retro Q, but is it such bad form to put mtb style spds on my road bike....I don't really want to have to buy another set of pedals and shoes.

I think you've answered your own question. No problem doing it as such but....

Not bad form as such, indeed it allows you to walk where road pedal cyclists fear to tread. That said, it might mark you out as a nouveau arriveste and, for a gentleman, that will simply not do.

Slightly more seriously, I guess it depends on what you intend to do on the road bike and how many of them you have. If it's just the one and it's main use is commuting or generally keeping fit then there's not much point in getting separate pedals and shoes. However if you have a fleet of road bikes and regularly ride sportives then it makes more sense (plus if you are doing longer road rides the extra sizeor road pedals can spread the load across your foor better.

Despite all the above, and the number of road bikes I have, I rode the Fred Whitton last year on mountain bike SPDs. But Paris Roubaix on road Looks. Go figure (although I think the answer is that it really, really doesn't matter).

One thing that might be worth avoiding is the baggy shorts and freeride jersey on a road bike for anything but the shortest trips, indeed if trips are so brief then jungle shorts, some sandals and a t-shirt are to be preferred.

That said, it might mark you out as a nouveau arriveste and, for a gentleman, that will simply not do.

:LOL:

Thank you gentlemen for your erudite and amusing replies. I think I may look 'the wrong sort' and ride with what I have until the piggy bank is suitably fattened.
I have nearly completed a road bike with gears this time and intend to put some miles down and try a sportive or two.

Whilst I have your attention....what a Merino wool tights like to wear...are they the preserve of touring types?

Many thanks
Carl

PS You're not going to like the cranks
PPS Will I get away with just removing the peak from my mtb helmet :LOL:

Road pedals generally have a larger surface area, so less pressure on your feet and more comfort.

I used to ride 747 pedals on my road bike when i first started out...and what a difference in feel when i moved to TIME road pedals.

I have MTB spds on my road bike, but do ride on the road with Road shoe to maintain a little style. It give me the oppertunity to pop on some MTB shoes if I want to pop to the shops.

Harryburgundy":wdhm2ago said:

Depends what you're using it for. I've got Time ATACs on my winter/commuting bike because they're double-sided (handier in traffic for rush-hour stops and starts) and the cleats and shoes are easier for walking around the shops in compared to the Look PP396s I use on the race bike!

David

Back