1995 Kona Kilauea

Mossy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My 1995 Kona Kilauea 19" just had a full spring clean and re-grease. Original paint.

P1030730_zpsc31fd121.jpg

P1030735_zps123cd326.jpg

P1030734_zps6608efb5.jpg

P1030732_zps75222f50.jpg

Very nice.

I'd prefer black skinwall tyres to be 100% picky but that is looking super.

What do you think it weighs? 22lb?

Oi! they're specialized finest Umma Gumma them are :D However they do need changing becuase they're starting to fall apart.

I know what you mean I too think all black tyres would look better.

weight, who knows? it's 19" so maybe not far from your estimation. I'll try the bathroom scale trick tomorrow.

Thanks.

What's the rear brake balance like? Looks as though you can just get away without Nokon on a size 19, but maybe only just.

Nice bike you have there.
One question, what material is the bars and stem made from? Are they aluminium or Ti?

Good afternoon

Coomber - the seat post is a little high - a little bit of extra post always looks good for the money shot ;)

Anthony - the brakes are fine the outer cable loop into the noodle is a little tight but doesnt appear to effect braking. Original set-up would have been the cantis and i've not had the oppertunity to try them yet. Does it look a little funny?

Chris - the bars and stem are both standard spec. The bars ar titainium whilst the stem is steel (light, strong and good quality).

Mossy":275jclud said:
Anthony - the brakes are fine the outer cable loop into the noodle is a little tight but doesnt appear to effect braking. Original set-up would have been the cantis and i've not had the oppertunity to try them yet. Does it look a little funny?
No, but you've obviously got a much shorter run of outer to the dog collar than you would have to a top tube mounted cable stop. Still on a size 19 it seems to be enough.

The shorter the seat tube, the less is the distance from the end of the noodle to the dog collar. On a size 16, it will absolutely not work, as there is barely more than an inch of outer, so the whole run of outer plus noodle has virtually no flex and overpowers the return spring on the brake no matter how much you bias it. Or if you try it with more outer, it makes a big semicircle trying to fit into a short space, so again it forces the brake arm to the right. But Nokon is so flexible that it works perfectly with Nokon replacing both the outer and the noodle. Standard outer also won't work on size 17, but clearly does on 19 and I haven't tried it on 18 - maybe that's the crossover point.

Anthony - I understand what you're saying and having another look it does push to the right very slightly. I've never herd of Nokon might take a look. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back