Info about Peugeot road bike?

flyboyovyick

Dirt Disciple
Hi

Just bought a Peugeot road bike off eBay for £50. Going to collect tomorrow.

I don't know anything about the bike, but i think its a Peugeot 501 as i have been looking at what looked to be the same model on Gumtree.

Can anyone give me some info like year it was made and if the bike is good or not?

One thing i am worried about is that the listing on Gumtree, the seller said the handlebars and seatpost were "stuck" in the frame. The aluminium seat post had oxidised in the frame and had stuck.

Now i am wondering if it might be the same case with the one i have purchased off eBay. Is it a common thing?

This will be my first racer to do the Manchester to Blackpool event in July. And i don't want to be spending too much on the bike, so any tips about racers or this specific bike would help a lot.

Thanks

flyboyovyick

hard to tell

Puegeot are a bit like Raleigh, in having produced such a huge range of bikes from the virtually unusable right up to championship winning

Stuck tubular parts are common unfortunately, but a dab of grease prevents seizing and in may cases bikes have been built with this in mind

If your seat post or stem are stuck, we can advise you, so relax

Post a pic or link to your auction and we can tell you more about your bike

Just picked up the bike, its a bit rusty in places.

it says premier on the frame, its 10 speed, carbolite frame

will post pick soon

OK not so bad

That'll be cool to commute on

£50 doesn't sound at all outrageous if it's all there!

It'd be cool to see a pic

It's a lower range model 'Carbolite' is one of the tubing designations that Puegeot cooked up for themselves

Basically it's carbon steel

Do you reckon you'll be able to save the original paint or is it too rusty? The graphics really make those bikes, is yours silver/grey?

the colour is sort of metallica green/silver.

It has the original stickers and im not going to re paint it. The only bits i have painted are the swingarm (were the back wheel sits), i have painted it hammerite silver. It looks good.

I think the bike is mostly stock apart from a steel wheel on the back and alloy on the front. Both Rigida wheels. De railler is shimano altus and the middle gear changer is sache huret. rear hub and cogs are mallard.

Will upload picture soon.

The maillard hubs and Sachs front deralleur will be original

I beleive the wheels would have been alloy on yours I guess yours would be an '88 pretty sure the 89 was grey

Heres the pictures, you may notice my paintjob.

dsci0124.jpg

it is what it is

It is what it says it is

PY10 is Reynolds 531 and much higher spec

Also now I can see it I can see that the front wheel is non original high flange hub is a give away - look in Peugeot catalogues on google for 86/87 or thereabouts and you will see yours and the original equipment, your is looking older than I thought too

Here's a place to start looking and see PY10s of various years:

http://www.peugeotshow.com/

It's a pretty bike, looks tidy in the pix, could be nice for rolling upgrades, £50 well spent I would say

Back