Raleigh Team colour MTBs - which tubesets?

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
I've been inspired by sinnett177's magnificant Adrian Timmis build, but at the same time remaining realistic about the likelihood of finding one of what must be a very small number of Team frames from this period. I'd really like to get a Team-colours frame from this period, so which other tubesets and frame materials were used?

I've seem the cheaper ATT-23 steel version with horizontal top tubes and unicrown forks, but was there a higher-end steel version? Then which Dyna-Tech framesets were available in Team colours? The Team frames were the XMT 100 Metal Composite Titanium Tubing, but were any of the 'more mundane' DynaTech frames painted up in the classic yellow and blue.

In fact, I'm probably mostly interested in the DynaTech variants. I now have the various Team liveries from the 70's to 90's on a selection of road frames spanning all the tubesets - 753, 653, 531, 501 and 18-23. It would be great to get a DynaTech as well, and the yellow/blue is the obvious missing colour scheme for me.

I know that some road frames were made in these colours, but they seem even more scarce than the mtb's - and in any case I identify these colours more strongly with mtbs than road bikes.

Cheers,
Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

I ordered a Dyna-Tech MTB frameset with 2070 tubing back in 1990 and specifically requested it in the (then) Team Colours. I'm still riding it today and I believe that other people also had theirs sprayed in these colours, as I have seem many variations of the blue and yellow (ie: with Sun-Tour logos).

main.php

In the same era (as the ATT23 framed version) was a 501 Tubed variant with Suntour XCT group (the ATT23 framed variant only had a partial XCT group) and there was also a 531 framed RSP lightweight variant that was handbuilt and used a full Suntour XCD6000 group that was a the top of the line Team Variant in 1989/90.

Carl.

ATT23 is plain gauge ‘gas pipe’ according to everything I can find on tinternet.

Can anybody enlighten me further?

I have this but cant remember of my head the tubes. Alloy lugs and nice reynolds iirc

Attachments

• 20200926_191505.jpg
    20200926_191505.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 11
But some folk like the mustang, particularly if there was some childhood lusting or connection. Look at the people that get moist over Grifters and Choppers, yet they rode like a one legged cat burying a turd on a frozen pond.

If people like them or want one, then go for it. After all, if we only get excited over and preserve the gucci bikes then all this stuff will die out and be lost to enthusiasts and history forever.

Last edited:
But some folk like the mustang, particularly if there was some childhood lusting or connection. Look at the people that get moist over Grifters and Choppers, yet they rode like a one legged cat burying a turd on a frozen pond.

If people like them or want one, then go for it. After all, if we only get excited over and preserve the gucci bikes then all this stuff will die out and be lost to enthusiasts and history forever.
Don’t understand the Chopper nostalgia thing! Must have been the the late ‘80s me and my chums found a Chopper in a ditch in our village, probably stolen and dumped. We fished it out, got it going again. It was so shite to ride we chucked it back where we found it.

Back