the Schermer on a Gazelle

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
The Schermer on a Gazelle Champion Mondial. The Gazelle is not really in its natural habitat. The reason why you will see later.

The way ahead >>

5649431442_2221b2dc97_z.jpg

...on the left >>

5649432596_6288a39496_z.jpg

...and the way covered >>

5648871735_0af84b23dc_z.jpg

All man made land of course. In midst of this small cosy villages like Driehuizen, Grootschermer and Schermerhorn.

Came past a German car dealership. My absolute dream...

5648873439_5ba0508c64.jpg

..a car color matching with my grips >>

5649435262_0f6011a5a6.jpg

Aha... one clue why the bike isn't in its natural habitat given away.

A couple more >>

5649435870_06e81dcb5d_z.jpg

Campagnolo Euclid cranks and mech, Centaur pedals

5648874961_abf4a33a1d_z.jpg

531 All Terrain tubing

5648875513_ea402d9ee1_z.jpg

Euclid levers operate the cantis of the same group. For shifting I rely on good old XT thumbies.

5649437384_438e545a81_z.jpg

The XTII mech shifts the Sedis chain over a 7s Maillard block. For cables I went with the same cables I used for the brakes. Result of this all: flawless shifting ...in index mode! XTII is great foolproof stuff.

Anway, I think it clear now: the Champion Mondial ...is a mountainbike :shock:

Back home >>

5648654209_2fba68bd0c_b.jpg

Gazelle

As Usual for your posts........absolutely lovely.
Great photos of a great looking bike. More information please, whats the story behind it?
Keep them coming.

Jamie

Thx guys :)

I got it from a school teacher in Amstelveen, a town nearby A'dam. The Gazelle hadn't seen much use, but it had ugly fenders fitted, the Euclid rear mech and shifters were replaced by STX mech and GripShift SRT600 somewhere during its lifetime and I weren't really a fan of the oddball ITM oversize stem/bar combination. I completely diassembled the Champion Mondial and gave it a major overhaul. I sprayed FluidFilm oil through the frame and of course the paint was waxed. I rebuilt the bike with solely loose balls in the bearings, running through fresh Motorex grease - the best imo. The SRT600/STX made place for the reliable and period correct XTII thumbie/rear mech ensemble and the ITM cockpit went for Tioga T-bone with chrome Tioga Prestige bar. The Euclid is all original spec.

As the pics already unveiled this is very nice shape Champy Mondial ATB now. Old world quality, but with a 'like new' feel. It is supersolid. Built with real materials. The controls absolutely do not feel like they will snap under your fingers. Not the no.1 weight weenies pick however.

On the ATB edition of the Champion Mondial I can say it is a rare gem. An ex worker of Gazelle's race department told me Gazelle built only a handfull of them during their cyclus ranging from 1984 to early 90s. Basicly the only modifications through the years were that they went from flat crown fork to brazed unicrown, the gear cables moved to the toptube and a 2nd pair of bottle bosses was added.

Back