Orange Clockwork. Now with pics & spec.

Andy B

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I have a chance to get my dirty little paws on an Orange Clockwork '93? (purple & orange one).

It's in a 'used' condition, but not abused, KHS forks, thumbies (maybe XT, not 100% sure), Canti's, anodised purple USE seatpost, Mavic rims (can't remember which ones!)...lots of retro bits. I can get full spec & pics when I'm next at work.

How much do you think I should pay for it?

Spec is:

17" Orange Clockwork frame in purple & orange. quite a few chunks out of the paintjob!
KHS fork
M540 Exage hubs with Mavic Oxygen M6 rims
M730 Shimano Crankset. Good condition
M735 XT front mech. good condition
M291 Acera rear mech
MT62 Deore 7spd Thumbies. Very tatty rubber thumb part.
M737 XT canti's. Very good condition.
MT63 Shimano brake levers. a bit tatty on the underside.
USE purple anodised seatpost (damn forgot to get the size, doh!)
Shimano STX headset
GT flat bars
Art 60mm stem
Vuelta USA Gecko 2.1 tyres
Miche seatpost clamp
Shimano skewers
A couple of pics, more on my flickr...

2069245004_9bb61cb953.jpg
2069247096_adeeeb63c6.jpg

2069247378_9abdf21e8c.jpg
2069246498_a3b395110c.jpg

Somewhere between £100 - £150 depending on condition, what bits are fitted, how original you want it and how badly you want it.
I paid £120 for my totally original green and silver 94 in very good condition, but I think that was actually quite cheap.

Not really too fussed about keeping it totally original at the mo*, it'd be nice to have a little bit of retro in the collection, just to remind me where I came from.

It's very dusty at the mo, so it's hard to see the true condition of the bike, but it does look used.

I'll get the full spec & some pics tomorrow when I pop into work & clean her up a bit, she needs some TLC.

*But the retro bug might bite like the mountain bike bug bit ;)

I also have in my possessiona set of MT62 Deore thumbies (VGC) a MT60 Deore rear mech (long cage) which is a little tatty as well as a set of M650 DX mech's (short cage) which are a little tatty, but not too bad.

Ewwww, looks like it needs a fair bit of time love and wonga thrown at it to get it back to a state to be proud of.
I would pay a ton tops, out the crap to get a bit of cash back and then kit it out with correct bits. IMHO Clockworks look best with standard period parts.

bin the stem and rear mech (there's an orange "stalk" stem that'd be lovely on ebay right now) and it looks like a pretty tidy machine

get some early pace on there and you're well away for some early 90's "best of british" action

Thanks for the advice guys. She's a bit tatty & ideally needs a paintjob, but hey, she's been used quite a bit and has the battle scars to prove it ;)

If I do buy her I'll put the M60 Deore rear mech on as well as the (VGC) MT62 thumbies straight away, as for the stem & forks, will have to wait for more funds.

Owner will sell for less than £100, so I might just save her, had a ride today & everything works fine, true rims, no play in either hub nor the headset, but she does need a cable stop for the front so I can get the front brake working, any ideas?

change the stem for something with internal cable routing, or fit a headset mounted one.
had a ritchey one on my orange til i went hydraulic.

Latest posts

Back