Saracen Trekkers ?

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Does anybody ever see any of the 89-90 saracen trekker comps still kicking around ? Do you have one ? Did you have one?,
Pea green colour with the rear seatstay-wishbone mounted U-brake and fork U-brake up front................

126ac5c3.jpg

What did you guys think of them :?: Love :? Hate

I loved these things and there was a lot around at one point, Used to be a mint one in york and was gonna offer to buy it next time I saw it, but typically now I have dosh I dont see it any more :( .
If youve got one you want to offload or know of one FS somewhere, give us a nod.

Trekkers

Love em...although the U brakes clogged with mud like crazy!

The previous years (198:cool: was model a cool light blue / turquoise / aquamarine (we sort of pretended it was similar to the YETI blue , although it really isn't)

It was my my ever MTB , and remained in regular use until the late 1990s.
In the early days the steer tube of the forks had to straightend out on more than one occassion!

There was a review in MBUK No.3 Vol.1 (alongside an Overbury's Pioneer mmm, Scott something nahh)

Will endevour to dig out some amusing retro photos

Saracen Trekker

Hi there, im in the process of cleaning one up, it is light blue/green with a Deore XT groupset, yep the Xt rear U brake.

Will get some pics asap, and it will be going on the bay soon after that.

My mate had the 1989 Kili Flyer Comp, the fillet brazed tange prestige model, absolutely beutiful...don't think there'll be many trekker copms in NZ, but I'll keep my eyes peeled! :shock:

Rich

I've only been thinking about the Trekker comp recently.
I loved the looks. Those u brakes seemed to make it look more solid and chunky.

We sold a couple at the cycle shop i worked in...... needless to say, i never wanted to see them leave!

Wow, I used to have one of those! Raced it in the Sussex Nutters for a coupla years.. If it rained [99% probability] you were buggered.. I did the Jevington one off "WipeOut" race in 89ish and dragged the thing round it was so muddy.. Must have a photo somewhere..

I changed the front fork for a Tange Big Fork and put XT cantis up front.. It had Wolber AT18 rims, DX throughout [mine had thumbies I'm sure, and an ultra rare black DX chainset] and handlebars that could have been cut offs from a North Sea Oil Rig.. Mega thick..

I think the old forks might be at my folks' place in Eastbourne, I'm back there in a coupla weeks so I'll check..

Got a mate who is still riding his '89 Tufftrax with all the original Mountain LX/Deore II/Farmer Johns gear on it..

Hi there, im in the process of cleaning one up, it is light blue/green with a Deore XT groupset, yep the Xt rear U brake.

:) Like to see that............

I think the old forks might be at my folks' place in Eastbourne, I'm back there in a coupla weeks so I'll check..

:eek: gimme gimme.

For those that never caught it first time heres the 89-90 catalogue ➡️
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=501

Back