Retro bike usage

Dangermouse

Retro Guru
How many people actually use their retro pride n joy for what it was actually intended for, I do and give it more than I should, having owned a Zaskar elite 2009 model for a year it never inspired confidence for some reason, yet the 99 FSR with all its new parts is just a fantastic and forgiving ride, on or off road it just rides so nice and gets lots of admiring glances from other cyclists :D

yup basicly everything you just said lol

i don't quite hammer my oranges quite as much, but then they are HTs with RC-30s & 35s :LOL:

dbmtb":o7dyjca1 said:
+1 but I have so many that none of them are ever going to wear out....

:shock: .......geez you do have a fair few to go at, my FSR is my only bike, for now untill I can get a nice 531 Raleigh frame ;)

Yep, plenty of old bikes still being ridden as intended.
Check out any aftermath thread in the Events and Area Groups sections to see plenty of evidence.

Having several bikes to share the load is a great excuse to have several bikes. Sadly sometimes they do still break though...

although my dh8 is only just not retro
it does get ridden
while i do have frames that arent being ridden, theyre kept as spares - otherwise, any built bike, does get ridden
my kona cowan just doesnt go aswell as my dh8 on the trails
and my dh8 is giving me some good technique which i didnt have (as much of) before

Apart from one bike all mine are over ten years old....my two main rides are a 2001 Kona Kaboom singlespeed and a circa 1993 Fuquay for days where I need a few more gears, just finished building up my late nineties Breezer Jet Stream in 1x8 guise for Summer duites, it's the only one that has boingy forks for those hardpacked trails :)

All my bikes are riders, no room for garage queens here. As dbmtb said if you have a few the wear and tear gets spread out more. One thing I do find is that modern stuff wears out much quicker than the old stuff.

Ride everything - my main ride, the Xizang, is out at least 3 times a week on commuter duties in addition to being my main mountain bike, it's doing Skye's Quiraing loop at the weekend :cool: .

Back