Abandoned Bike Etiquette

Cass

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all, was wondering what the etiquette is for abandoned bikes, on my commute in there's an old Muddy Fox that appears in pretty good condition, think it's a world ranger or something, dark blue frame, cantilever brakes, white tyres, a nice looking bike. but it has sat chained to some bike railings for a few months now and the front wheel recently disappeared.

It doesn't look like any ones coming back for it.

Is there anything can be done, leave it for the vandals to trash or watch it slowly disintegrate until there's nothing left or report it to the police and have it taken away to maybe be claimed after a certain period and save the bike.

The bikes too big for me, but it seems a shame to watch a nice bike be left abandoned to disappear into the hands of thieves or slowly rot away.

ta.

Ive often thought this, again it was a muddy fox (full suspension unsure of model but LX/XT/Judy SL equiped) that initially triggered my thoughts. Chained to a drainpipe outside my mates house for months on end, eventually it had its wheels kicked in, sat there for a few more months and then vanished.

Chained up in its place was a shiney new £79.99 special from halfords.

Did the owner really just wait for it to be stolen so he could replace it with such crap on the insurance as a new bike? Who knows, all i know is that the bike went unloved, and now either lies at the bottom of the thames, in the local tip or in some council estate "youfs" back garden in a rusting heap (or it may have been rescued by another bike fan i suppose!)

I though maybe they'd left it there so as to claim some money back on insurance. Thinking maybe let the police know, they can take it away and after a few months if it's not claimed I'll donate it too a loving home.

I had the same thoughts near me again a Muddy Fox ladies 1989. I should have waited till dark and got it. as it slowly went till just the frame was left which the council took.
Those who dare......

I'd go down the route of conacting the police myself. I did this once with a Dyna-Tech frame and eventually ended up with it. Thing is now i can't remember what i did with it :oops:

Tim

dunno what the score is seeming as it's locked, but a mate of mine had a dodgily re-sprayed bike dumped in his front garden, he reported it to the fuzz and when no-one came forward for it, he claimed it..

he painstakingly removed the crappy paint job in his spare (rare) evenings off, and it turns out it was a 16" specialized rock hopper! he upgraded the shoddy bits put on it, gave it to his lady, and they split up a week or so after.. he still hasn't seen the funny side of it. but yeah, i see that a lot in this town too, mugs leaving konas etc padlocked to railings, wheels and saddle go first, then frame is left to rot or kicked sh*tless. gits..

good luck ;)

There are a few abandoned houses in Cheltenham, no one is using them, so can I just move in and claim them as mine?

If the bike is not yours and you take it, its theft. Simple as.

yup, I'm aware of that law, but you have to have squatted in the house for 10 years unchallenged first don't you? Up until that point, the owner of the property can serve a court order to get you out IIRC.

Maybe if the bike has been chained to the railings for 10yrs, you can claim it then?

Back