Phillips Phaser Road Bike

wbmkk

Retro Newbie
Hi

I have just been given a Phillips Phaser road bike, but had never heard of phillips bikes until now.

I would like any information on these bikes, if at all possible.

I can not give a link to the images, as i am too new here.

The frame is 19" and too small for me to use, so I may sell it, via 'the well known auction site' ... what would it be worth, if anything ?

Many thanks ![/img]

Unless it's very, very old, Philips was a sub-brand of Raleigh. Raleogh had an exclusivity deal with Halfords that meant they couldn't sell Raleigh branded bikes through the home-shopping catalogues. The Philips brand was used to 'disguise' Raleigh bikes for catalogue sales. The Premiere was an Equipe with different colours and badging, I'm presuming the Phaser was another - maybe a Pursuit?

Raleigh

They were a Birmingham based builder up until the 60's when Raleigh bought them out if I remember correctly what I was told a few years ago. That would tie in with Terry's info. (maybe)
Long before my time.
Jamie

Phillips were a large cycle maker, and became part of Tube Investments Group, makers of 531 and others, which later bought Raleigh.
Not known for lightweight or racing bikes. Old Phillips are well thought of in USA, but in the UK very ordinary commuter bikes. Also supplied components to the trade.

Phillips

Hi keithglos
Is this the same Phillips I was told about in Birmingham? or have I got everything completely ballsed up? Interested as I was told this during a conversation about ten years ago when i first came to the UK from a freind in Derby. I had seen a Phillips outside a bike shop and mentioned I had never heard of them.
This is also the first one I have heard mentioned since, so interested to hear more.
cheers
Jamie

Thank you to everybody who kindly posted replies.

That was interesting 'terryhfs' my other bike is actually a Raleigh Equipe

like this?

DSCN0949.jpg

DSCN0948.jpg

Got it off Freecycle for one of the kids last year ;)

Back