Hydraulic gear shifters - the future?

wouldn't the slightest drop in fluid also knock shifting to cock? i'm thinking about the change in lever travel on a hydraulic disc here, transfer that to a shifter and you could be riding a SS without any intention of it!!!

as for electrics, shimano do / did one iirc. road orientated system but it is very clever as it trims the front mech slightly as you shift up/down on the rear to give perfect alignment. very clever system for road use but i doubt it would be hard wearing enough for battering down hills / through the woods.

02gf74":11d4dvgu said:
MAXTHEROTTI":11d4dvgu said:
im with kaiser here
electronic would be the future

If ytou call 1992 the future, then Mavic already done it

Haven't read the blurb but one system had small generator in the jockey wheels to power the system so a clunky batter was not required.

A quick google birng up Campag as having made electrnoic sifting system too.

by future i meant as in main stream viable alternative to cables
but i think the price would be its limiting factor as i doubt they could replace a wiring harness for the 4 quid a cable costs ;)

Sure it works fine - but having played extensively with DI.2 in my last 2 jobs before going self-employed, I think electronics are where it's at. The intelligent front mech trimming and overshift function couldn't be done any other way.

MAXTHEROTTI":1ouzp2x2 said:
im with kaiser here
electronic would be the future

small electronic stepper motors would be able to move the mech fractions of a mm every time where as hydro is not quite so accurate and could be fine tuned quickly through your lap top (as long as the manufacturer supplies it as a open system not locked so you have to go to official repair centre :evil: )

also i think the electronic way would weigh slightly less and would be easyer for internal routing of wiring

Rob

My God!

For mountain bikes? Bikes that take a knock in use as part of their purpose?

We are going to be tuning them from laptops???

Electrics have their place I am sure, but for day to day running I think it is best to keep it simple.

Hydraulics could be light and nicely adjustable on the fly. Much more reliably so than cables. Also could work against a spring so no need to run a loop.

However, all of this is leading towards bikes needing more expensive tools and more expensive servicing and repair.

For me, cycling should be as simple as possible.

As long as it is not single speed.

:)

How is this better than cables?

I see virtual MTB as the future... right now I'm caning it down Mammoth mountain on a pennyfarthing :LOL:

Back