My '92 GT Zaskar - 20/09/12 update.

Nice GT mate look lite what them tyres like off road any good in these dry conditions or are they tarmac only :cool:

I would have thought that a U-brake needs a cantilever type brake lever to get the best out of it.

I may be wrong (and often am!) but a V brake lever may pull too much cable causing a wooden feeling.

It may be worth putting a cantilever brake on the front and trying canti brake levers for both?

Just a thought, stand to be corrected of course. :LOL:

Luke

The tyres are considered a micro knobbly so only really good for street riding and very hard fire trails (like BMX tyres).
I've run them on proper foresty tracks before and they were fine, but only if its bone dry. In the wet muddy stuff they pack up and become slick in no time at all.

I think you might be on the money the_duke. I'll source some Canti levers and a front canti and see how that feels. :)
Good call mister it hadn't occurred to me that the U would need a Canti lever! Doh. :D

No worries, I checked on Sheldon Browns website and it seems I was right (for a change :LOL:)

"A U brake uses a conventional brake lever, not the special lever with longer cable pull used with direct-pull brakes (V brakes). Set the transverse cable as short as possible for best braking, and adjust the cable and lever. (See the article about cables). There is usually a small setscrew on the side of one of the arms for fine adjustment of spring balance"

As for the bike I forgot to say but it looks sweet. I especially like the dura-ace shifters, I have the same ones and they work a treat.

Did you dip them to get the new colour covers?

:D right I shall hunt for a mint set of XT spec canti levers and a pair of XTR cantis then :D.

Thanks for the kinds words chaps. Yes the grey Dura Ace shifter covers just didn't go with my colour way (does the grey colour go with anything?). So I bought some Plasti-Dip and dipped them. As a first attempt they aren't perfect but they'll do for now and they work perfectly.

Just back in from a ride. :D
I've never ridden a Aluminium Zaskar before (My other Zaskar is Carbon), and boy do these things take off when hammered. Out of the saddle thrashing is blisteringly fast and I'm wondering whether to find an Alloy Zaskar for racing now. Once in 'tonking' mode the old boy really flys, hills just seem to disappear.
The tyres have to go as they are stupid. They look cool and sound amazing on tarmac...but they are stupid. I got home and found a pair of Conti Twisters so they'll be fitted soon (silly light too).
The saddle and stem have been lowered so there is now a few cm's of steering above the stem, but I'll trim it after a few rides.

Good stuff though and an absolute pleasure to ride. :D

nice build there

the alloy zaskars are imo better than the carbon ones
i have a 2009 carbon expert , a brilliant bike as you'll know
but i do think my 2000 zaskar race is that little bit better
hard to say why tho
going to build a 97 zaskar le soon

mikee":2pc9p6ay said:
nice build there

the alloy zaskars are imo better than the carbon ones
i have a 2009 carbon expert , a brilliant bike as you'll know
but i do think my 2000 zaskar race is that little bit better
hard to say why tho
going to build a 97 zaskar le soon

You've gotten me thinking mikee, I love my CF Zaskar but in a race situation it never seems to give me that sprinting punch I've noted on this much older Alloy Zaskar.
Time to buy a new spec Alloy Zaskar frame me thinks. ;)

Easter Monday update. :)

Lighter BETTER tyres and a few geometry changes. O and I accidentally re-autosoled and re-waxed it...its soooooooo shiny... :D

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

BMX Bar end plugs coming soon and the hunt for SLR XT Canti levers and XTR Canti's begins in earnest. ;)

Back