'96 Ritchey Road Logic - Finished Pics

Coleman

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Well it's finished - I am really pleased with it :D

Only 2 things left to do which are:

➡️ Fit some dark blue anno salsa QRs - the unbranded ones. The Campy Record ones that came with the wheels are pig ulgy so I planned to replace them with some 80's Record ones but these don't fit into the Ritchey rear drop outs :( so for now its got an old one at the front and a new one at the rear.

➡️ Send Gil_m a scan of the original 'designed by Tom Ritchey' sticker that was at the bottom of the seat tube and get a new one made.

Spec and pics below, I'm off out for a ride :D

Frame: 1996 Ritchey Road Logic

Fork: Ritchey Carbon

Headset: CK
Stem: Kelly
Handlebar: Salsa Poco
Bar Tape: Salsa

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campag Athena Ergo
Brake Calipers: Campag Athena
Brake Pads: Campag
Brake Cables: Campag

Shifters: Campag Athena Ergo
Front Derailleur: Campap Athena
Rear Derailleur: Campag Athena
Derailleur Cables: Campag
Cassette: Campag Chorus
Chain: Campag Chorus
Cranks: Campag Athena Carbon
Chainrings: Campag Athena
Bottom Bracket: Campag Athena
Pedals: Look KEO

Rims: Mavic Open Pro CD
Hubs: Campag Record
Hub Skewers: Campag Record new and old
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: DB S/S
Tyres: Continental GP4000 700 x 23
Tubes: Contintental

Saddle: White Flight
Seatpost: Control Tech

Weight: ?? Light (sub 20lb at a guess)

pics:

dsc0505tv.jpg

dsc0492s.jpg

dsc0512uh.jpg

dsc0510v.jpg

dsc0506m.jpg

dsc0496u.jpg

dsc0501z.jpg

dsc0500k.jpg

dsc0494u.jpg

dsc0497n.jpg

dsc0504i.jpg

dsc0502q.jpg

dsc0508p.jpg

This is my first retro road build.

My modern aluminium road bike had no soul compared to my old MTBs so when this frame turned up I thought I'd have a go at sorting that out :D

I wanted to go for a steel road bike, ideally with a bit of a MTB link. It will be my only road bike so functionality was important, the plan was classic frame and finishing kit mated to sympathetically chosen modern parts.

I took a bit of a punt on the frame - someone had outed it on here and the BIN meant I was a bit impulsive and bought it without knowing anything about Ritchey Road bikes, pics of the frame when it arrived:

rimg2002.jpg

rimg2005.jpg

dsc0320wq.jpg

dentf.jpg

Shabby but sound and with a bit of reading fairly rare and well loved by those that own them.

It had no forks and I figured that the originals were going to be nigh on impossible to find so went for a modern carbon Ritchey. The frame had crimp damage to the down tube where some animal had overtightened the front mech :)roll:).

The next thing was decals, a bit of internet research found a pic of a bike in the original colours (pic below) and Gil_m did the usual sterling job on coming up with the goods - thanks Gil!

2319971966880babe7c8b.jpg

The frame/forks went to Argos where I had the down tube repaired (filled with silver solder) and a mech mount added (figured this was for the best - having been damaged once I didn't want to risk a split). The colours I wanted to be as per original but I opted for a pearlescent twist to them.

I had a CK patriot headset in the box of bits to be used sometime which is fitted and here it is:

rimg2680.jpg

rimg2681.jpg

rimg2683.jpg

rimg2685.jpg

rimg2687.jpg

rimg2690.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result - the colour is really deep.

I have all the bits, its going to be a euro/american mix:

2011 Campy Athena 11 speed (for me Campy is road bikes)
Campy Record/Mavic Open Pro CD wheels - classic looking but bang up to date and they'll last for ever)
White flight/control tech/kelly/salsa bits

Hopefully have it finished this weekend. :D

Thanks guys - just cranks, chain, brake calipers and cables to fit now.

Serial number is ROAD 0096

gm1230126":12ngxa11 said:
Newer than mine, has the socket dropouts. So did they bondo the crimp in the frame?

hi gm, i'm not sure what bondo is?! but the repair was done with silver solder and then flushed off to as round a profile as possible, it's a good job you'd have to know it was there and have a caliper to detect it.G

Back