Pentlands Anyone ? Sunday 9th December 07 Mid Day Start

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Not strictly a retro event as I'm the only rider who adheres to retro biking by choice but a chance to ride a route around the Pentland Hills near Edinburgh starting and finishing at the hamlet of Carlops.

My friends and I have decided to do a spot of 'Old School XC' by riding a non dedicated mtb off road route up one valley and down the next. The route is based on one suggested by MBR magazine and is graded medium.
We are all a little tired of hauling ourselves down to Glentress MTB Centre near Peebles and the so called 'joys' of purpose built singletrack.

The ability of the group is mixed and we often stop to regroup. At least one of our members used to race back in the day when one bike did for all disciplines, unfortunately he is a lover of all things new and thus is retro in mind only.

So if anyone is interested, be in the carpark at Carlops village ready to roll at 12 mid day on Sunday 9th December 2007.

I look forward to any notes of interest,

Cheers

might make it, need to check commitments with the missus, might suggest an Ikea trip :) , Pentlands was my old haunt, but I'm not too fit at the moment so we'll see how much walking I'll do ... :oops:

Sorry guys not going to make it :cry: but let us know about any future trips.

I used to do the top end of the pentlands regularly, riding in at bonaly and out at swanston with various routes round the back usually with a bit of snow or rain.

I hit a sheep on the swanston downhill once - first trip out on the Xizang IIRC :)

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,183
The Swantston DH where I nearly hit sheep but did wipe out in a heather patch, my friend also converted to V-brakes after that run when his canti's could not cope with the speeds !!!!

Will keep you informed of future runs.

Cheers

Back