Is, or should there be, a UK equivalent to L'Eroica?

psychlist

Devout Dirtbag
I asked this question on Bike Radar this week and was surprised by the lack of response. I wonder if there would be any interest in the idea of a UK ride similar to L'Eroica.

I gather there is a ride around Pendle which attracts retro road bikes http://www.pendlewitchesvintagevelo.co.uk/ but this seems to be all there is. Many of us love steel-framed bikes and maybe even wool jerseys and toe clips. A few of us travel to Tuscany for L'Eroica. What interest do you think there might be for something similar here?

I think that would be a great idea! Always fancied L'Eroica and a UK version would be a good introduction. Maybe base it on an old reliability ride or race? Milk race stage?

EDIT: Reading the stuff about OWMTBC it proves that the event doesn't need hundreds of riders just a load of enthusiastic people.

One ride that exists is the CiCLE Challenge around Melton in Leicestershire. Rough roads/ tracks basing itself on A Paris Roubaix style 'hard man's' event. No, I haven't tried it , as it happens!

More details here-
http://www.cicleclassic.co.uk/cyclosportif2010.html

Seems quite a refreshing change from the various (still excellent) sportive events elsewhere in the UK.

Has anyone here doen this ride before?
The ride/ route exists - down perhaps to Retro-bikers to provide the older kit to test against the carbon stuff...

Regards,

David

we don't have the the long tradition of racing to be quite like l'eroica.

london to Holyhead springs to mind as an old classic to return as a retro event, mind it would have to be over 2 days now!!! :D

there are some older events

we have the easter 4 day up in the NE that has been going since the 60?, possibly the 50's, and some of the old stages were literally racing up into scotland and back

The great thing about L'Eroica is the atmosphere in Giaole where effectively the whole town is turned-over to the event. There's also the beautiful, rolling Tuscan countryside, vinyards, olive groves and bianchi strada...and classic Italian bikes.
Anything that prevents people in this country from driving to Tesco or the garden centre on a Sunday morning would be roundly-attacked by motoring nimbys for impinging their human rights.

there was a posting on the ctc forum about a guy who wanted to do just what you suggest. A bit of searching should bring it up.

Wasnt someone somewhere (not sure which site) organising something on anglesey?

The scotton 100 (100km) north of york is a paris-roubaix style of ride. but you have to enter in advance and I think there might be limited places??

Back