A problem

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
If a wheel builder has dropped a nipple in the rim. How can you get it out?

tintin40":13rwbpn3 said:
dropped a nipple in the rim.
I'm 31 and I still grinned inanely when I read that - Will I ever grow up?

Mi thoughts would be a fair bit of jiggling and a pair of tweezers... Are they stainless nipples in an alloy rim, if so perhaps some clever use of a magnet :?:

Yep when i wrote it had to have little laugh. Yes standard nipple in alloy mavic 717 rim. The wheel builder of a North London 'roadie' bike shop near the Gunners stadium built them and i think for a laugh they dropped a nipple in both wheels as its a mtber wheels. Never go there again. At those prices why did i go there in the first place :shock: And yet some people on here love that shop!!!!! Why??? The prices are :shock: the service is :twisted: And their wheel builder can't build a pair of wheels to save his life.

If you can locate it but not remove it, possibly a spot of expanding builders foam or glue of some sort to secure it and stop it rattling - if you're really anal and can manage to get it opposite the valve hole it'll balance the extra weight of the valve ;)

I've never had this problem, but if you hold the wheel with the valve hole at the bottom and shake it about, will gravity take the nipple close enough to the hole for you to fish it out? Or does it get caught up?

is the wheel built already? then it's likely impossible to get it out without removing the nipple and the spoke next to it. probably not enough space in the hollow part of the rim with the nipples in place to move it to the valve hole. caught between two nipples, isn't that what we all are :LOL:

Carsten

orange71":282asdmr said:
take them back and complain

I wished i had. But didn't WWWWWHY didn't i :? :? :(

Yes the wheel is complete. Alas i don't have a magnet :D

The nipple is moving round the rim and gets stuck then moves along till stuck and so on.
Thanks for letting me share this with you and advice on removing it :D

Happened to me 2 weeks ago.
I sat on the kitchen floor shaking the wheel for 30 minutes and it finally fell out.
It helped when I used a thick rubber mat to cushion the pounding from damaging the rim. (another double entendre!)

Echo carsten., but yes, if the channels in the rim are deep enough, you may be able to tap it down to the valve hole. When you build, and drop a nipple in, anyne who is conscientious will stop and get it out again before they continue. . ..
and alas, brass stainless and alloy nipples are all non-magnetic. Of the threee generic metallurgical types of stainless, only Ferritic stainless is magnetic. . . but then thats good for making knies from. WHich could be useful in your case. . . . ;)

Back